Training Differences Between Men and Women

Reaction score
Outside of obvious specialization differences between men and women (men wanting bigger upper bodies and arms | women wanting bigger legs and glutes), have any of y'all found that women respond differently or better to one method of training or the other?

For example, my go-to recommendation for any newbie to lifting is Phraks Greyskull LP, with the only alteration that men should do 2-3 sets of biceps work after every session (3x/wk) and women should do 2-3 sets of glute work after every session.

Examples of programs/templates/methodologies which have been effective for ladies you know, please and thank you.

PZT

Elite
Reaction score
Outside of obvious specialization differences between men and women (men wanting bigger upper bodies and arms | women wanting bigger legs and glutes), have any of y'all found that women respond differently or better to one method of training or the other?

For example, my go-to recommendation for any newbie to lifting is Phraks Greyskull LP, with the only alteration that men should do 2-3 sets of biceps work after every session (3x/wk) and women should do 2-3 sets of glute work after every session.

Examples of programs/templates/methodologies which have been effective for ladies you know, please and thank you.
The ones that wont last long term or are not consistent, benefit well from simple linear periodization but thats in respects to powerlifting.

Reaction score

Everything starts with understanding goals. You can’t prescribe any cookie-cutter program until the goals are well-described. It can also depend on experience level.

With that said, building muscle is building muscle. Building strength is building strength. Training for powerlifting is the same.

Liftvault.com for a searchable list of programs.

Reader591

Reaction score
I haven’t found any differences between men and women, other than obvious stuff. Convincing women to lift heavy, eat enough calories and protein. But actual application, not really.

But I’m not a trainer. BUT I have helped a lot of people including my wife.

It really comes down to their preference. Are they a gym rat? Most likely not. So just giving them big bang for your buck lifts, get them in and out, and maybe workout three days a week.

I started my wife with ONE 30 minuet workout a week. Her problem was she’d go balls to the wall for a couple months then fall off the wagon. We all know here that you’d be better off doing less but consistently for years.

Now she loves the gym, workout 3 x a week for about an hour. But you won’t get her to do more. But she can deadlift 4 plates so I’d say she’s doing just fine.

It just depends on the person more than male female in my opinion.

PZT

Elite
Reaction score
I know the Deload time needed for a woman seems shorter but I think that’s more of a size thing rather than a gender thing

Reaction score
I know the Deload time needed for a woman seems shorter but I think that’s more of a size thing rather than a gender thing
I saw some studies or maybe anecdotal evidence that women are capable of a greater work capacity (relatively speaking, not in absolute), where they are able to recover far faster at high %1RM loads than men can.

I think this speaks more to crossfit style training than anything, which women seem to excel at too. Probably worth noting.

Yano

Flatlandah
Reaction score
I think every one here said some good stuff but I want to expand just a bit on what @BigBaldBeardGuy said about goals.

The few women I have talked to about lifting or working out that have asked me haven't had clear goals , not well defined ones at least.

I just want to tone up some , I don't like my flabby arms , I just want to lose 10 or 15 lbs ... that to me is just whining its not setting a clear goal and putting a date on it.

My point in this is that having a clear set goal in a defined period of time helps keep up intensity , focus , drive and a desire to succeed.

Once she has given you her goals , dreams , ideas and when it all has to happen by. Then you can tailor a program to suit those needs.

Like @BigBaldBeardGuy said no cookie cutter will work for this and in my opinion a generic program will only lead to boredom , complacency and eventually non compliance and quitting.

Goals create discipline , discipline fans the flames. Fires rage , goals are met.

PZT

Elite
Reaction score
I saw some studies or maybe anecdotal evidence that women are capable of a greater work capacity (relatively speaking, not in absolute), where they are able to recover far faster at high %1RM loads than men can.

I think this speaks more to crossfit style training than anything, which women seem to excel at too. Probably worth noting.
Yeah I coached it first hand with a girl. She did not need much time off before a meet. Like 4 days