44 Male with CML

Reaction score
Hi everyone so I am 44 years old. I was diagnosed with CML in 2016. I've managed to keep it a bay with medication. Recently I have just been tired of being a medium guy and decided to attempt to bulk up. I am stuck a 173 pounds at 5'9". I have started TRT 250 mg a week about 4 weeks ago. My question is what is a good diet to gain muscle. I eat alot and drink 60-80grams of protein a day. It's just really hard to get above 173. My goal is 200

Yano

Flatlandah
Reaction score
I eat alot and drink 60-80grams of protein a day
An we found the , I can't grow issue.

Gonna have to figure out your macros bud and what you actually need to maintain and then add 3 to 500 cals to that for growing.

As a counter to your , 60-80 grams of protein a day , mine for example and this is for me dont just adopt it , my protein intake is around the 260/280 grams a day mark.

What about your carbs n fats ? Where are they in all this ?

If you want to wear it as muscle , you got to shove it down the grocery hole , we dont grow by osmosis.

CJ

Mod Squad
Reaction score
Hi everyone so I am 44 years old. I was diagnosed with CML in 2016. I've managed to keep it a bay with medication. Recently I have just been tired of being a medium guy and decided to attempt to bulk up. I am stuck a 173 pounds at 5'9". I have started TRT 250 mg a week about 4 weeks ago. My question is what is a good diet to gain muscle. I eat alot and drink 60-80grams of protein a day. It's just really hard to get above 173. My goal is 200

The first checkpoint is that you have to consume more calories than you burn. That's non negotiable, no way around it. A few hundred calories surplus is plenty.

Then make it quality foods, with adequate protein. For you, at least 175 grams daily, the vast majority of it from real food. You're getting too much of it from shakes. I'd say limit it to a single 25g shake, daily.

Then train appropriately to stimulate muscle growth. You MUST train hard. Simply walking into the gym and going through the motions will give you no results. Look around the gym, 95% of the people there are training like shit, they're merely exercising at best. If you workout like them, you need to fix that.

Diesel59

Elite
Reaction score
I admire what you're doing and what you've been able to overcome. Bulking up should be easy compared to what you've already gone through.

P 200
C 250
F 85

Follow this. It will work very well.

You can track everyday for free with an app like Chronometer.

CJ

Mod Squad
Reaction score
I admire what you're doing and what you've been able to overcome. Bulking up should be easy compared to what you've already gone through.

Follow this. It will work very well.

You can track everyday for free with an app like Chronometer.

Maybe. Maybe not. That's a HUGE calorie deficit for me.

He's much better off figuring out how much he has been eating, and adjust from there.

cavorite

Reaction score
the vast majority of it from real food. You're getting too much of it from shakes. I'd say limit it to a single 25g shake, daily.

What's the downside to relying on shakes/supplements for protein (apart from missing out on micronutrients)? Absorption?

Protein is hard to come by in Vietnam – I'd need to order several dishes for one "normal" amount of chicken/pork in a US meal. I eat a ton of egg whites and greek yogurt and use whey to make up the deficit.

CJ

Mod Squad
Reaction score
What's the downside to relying on shakes/supplements for protein (apart from missing out on micronutrients)? Absorption?
It's in and out too quickly, whereas with real food you'll have a multi hour release of amino acids into the body.

Another downside is if in a cut, shakes aren't as filling as real food.

Protein is hard to come by in Vietnam – I'd need to order several dishes for one "normal" amount of chicken/pork in a US meal. I eat a ton of egg whites and greek yogurt and use whey to make up the deficit.
In that particular case, I'd drink several smaller shakes throughout the day, ideally casein protein over whey.

Rickt

Elite
Reaction score
You know what I liked the most. Is this guy opened the conversation. Then let everyone have their say.

Then said nothing at all.

My troll meter is on the red.

Reaction score
Lol, been working and sleeping like I said I have cml which makes me extremely tired at times sir. I apologize for not getting back in the time frame that I am supposed to. As you see this is my first post and I dont live on social media having a family and all takes time as well. Hope this solves your mystery.

Reaction score
It's in and out too quickly, whereas with real food you'll have a multi hour release of amino acids into the body.

Another downside is if in a cut, shakes aren't as filling as real food.

In that particular case, I'd drink several smaller shakes throughout the day, ideally casein protein over whey.
Yes I bought some casein protein 25 grams I thought that was low, but I read it's a slow digesting protein so I make a shake before bed. Maybe I will add one during the day. I do have ready made shakes with 30 grams of whey protein I drink during the day. One or two a day.

Reaction score
What exactly have you eaten the last three days?
Most days I start of with about a 8 Oz cut of pork lion with 2-3 packs of the Kodiak protein oat meal, then for lunch I have a chicken wrap or beef wrap then dimmer is chicken breast and a bag of boil-in-bag rice. I don't know where else to add calories unless I eat like doughnuts or something but I thought sugar was bad, for well everything lol.

CJ

Mod Squad
Reaction score
Yes I bought some casein protein 25 grams I thought that was low, but I read it's a slow digesting protein so I make a shake before bed. Maybe I will add one during the day. I do have ready made shakes with 30 grams of whey protein I drink during the day. One or two a day.
It's slower than a whey protein shake, but still faster than if it came from a whole food, as it's already processed.

Reaction score
Thank you, I thought until this thread I could just get more than half my protein from shakes. I am going to double my meet intake. How can I uptake my calories and carbs and still be hungry enough to eat enough protein

Send0

Taskmaster (Moderator)
Reaction score
Most days I start of with about a 8 Oz cut of pork lion with 2-3 packs of the Kodiak protein oat meal, then for lunch I have a chicken wrap or beef wrap then dimmer is chicken breast and a bag of boil-in-bag rice. I don't know where else to add calories unless I eat like doughnuts or something but I thought sugar was bad, for well everything lol.
do you actually log your food in an app, or just make a mental note like what you're doing in this post?

eazy

Elite
Reaction score
do you use an app to keep track of your intake?

If you do not please start. Cronometer, fatsecret, nutritionix, MyFitnessPal

so what you put there is all you ate on WED, THUR, FRI?

you didnt eat anything else?

you didn't drink any calories?