Changing tastes: Tex-Mex surpasses Italian food as America's favorite

Diesel59

Elite
Reaction score
Tex-Mex cuisine is now America's favorite:

This isn't anything new for me...I eat Tex-Mex all the time but never really go for Italian. The "fast casual" style of restaurants that tend to favor this style (Chipotle, Qdoba, Moe's, etc) have blown up over the past 15 years. You don't really see an Italian equivalent; most Italian places are sit down restaurants.

From a health/fitness/bodybuilding perspective, it's a lot easier to customize a meal at a Tex-Mex place. Rice, beans, chicken and veggies with hot sauce and no fatty toppings is hard to mess up. You can't really limit your fat intake at an Italian restaurant.

Hughinn

Reaction score
I'm not particularly interested in either.

It's Cajun cuisine all the way for me

TeddyBear

Tren Made Me Gay
Reaction score
I prefer Asian cuisine the most; Chinese, Japanese, Vietnamese, and Thai.
Mediterranean food: like Armenian, Lebanese, and Turkish.
Mexican food and then yes, Italian.

IMO I don’t go out for Italian because I make so many of my own “pastas” at home. It’s not hard to do Italian veggies, meat, sauce and noodles. Maybe because I’m white, it’s just harder for me to replicate other dishes at home myself.

Diesel59

Elite
Reaction score
Isn't this because of the change in immigration demographics?

According to the article, it's a combination of that and the fact that younger generations of all ethnicities have different tastes than their parents and grandparents.

I'd imagine that a lot of the immigrants prefer authentic Latin cuisines to the heavily Americanized Tex-Mex stuff.

Bro Bundy

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
America doesn’t really have a style of food like other countries

PZT

Elite
Reaction score
The sorority biches here go to mexican restaurants at least 3 times a week
All the women at my job are the same. I dont like Tex mex but in my small we have 5 Mexican restaurants. 2 are authentic

New Threads