Food for meet?

Reaction score
What do you guys usually eat/drink the day before and day of the meet? Want to make sure I'm feeling good for my first meet.

Trendkill

👑 Benevolent Sammich King 👑
Reaction score
Thinking back on this I don’t remember what I used to eat on meet days. It’s been over 15 years since I competed but I’ve got about 20 meets under my belt. I do remember eating fast food for lunch at a lot of meets but that’s about it. I always had snacks like energy bars, Gatorade and water. Meets can be very hectic and timing meals is difficult. It is important to eat something but don’t do anything crazy. Eat only foods your body is used to. Some meets have long breaks between flights and events. Others are done in less then 6 hours (rare). Just find time to eat what you can. You will be very nervous for your first several meets and your appetite will be all over the place. You probably won’t want to eat anything until after squats and the nerves subside a bit. Hunger can hit you hard when some of that adrenaline wears off so just have easy to digest stuff on hame. Good luck to you.

When is the meet? What federation and weight class?

Reaction score
Thinking back on this I don’t remember what I used to eat on meet days. It’s been over 15 years since I competed but I’ve got about 20 meets under my belt. I do remember eating fast food for lunch at a lot of meets but that’s about it. I always had snacks like energy bars, Gatorade and water. Meets can be very hectic and timing meals is difficult. It is important to eat something but don’t do anything crazy. Eat only foods your body is used to. Some meets have long breaks between flights and events. Others are done in less then 6 hours (rare). Just find time to eat what you can. You will be very nervous for your first several meets and your appetite will be all over the place. You probably won’t want to eat anything until after squats and the nerves subside a bit. Hunger can hit you hard when some of that adrenaline wears off so just have easy to digest stuff on hame. Good luck to you.

When is the meet? What federation and weight class?
Thanks man!

The meet is on the 22nd. Federation is UPA and ill be competing 181 weight class

Trendkill

Reaction score
Sweet! Keep us posted. You doing raw or equipped?

Reaction score
Assuming 24 hour weigh ins I'll go somewhere like Bob Evans for breakfast after weighing in. Eat a ton of carbs. Then pizza or burgers for lunch and pasta for dinner. Throughout the day I'll drink whole milk and eat high sodium and carb snacks. Pretty much go nuts the day before.

Then on meet day I'll have granola bars, bananas, beef jerky, and pop tarts on hand. I'll drink mostly water early in the day and save the caffeine for right before my flight does deadlift. I'll have some hydration type drinks on hand too. Nothing that's going to sit too heavy in my stomach, but still keep me energized.

snake

Veteran
Reaction score
Nornal before bed. Light breakfast and get the coffe in early. I assume you're on the mark with your weight class?

Reaction score
Assuming 24 hour weigh ins I'll go somewhere like Bob Evans for breakfast after weighing in. Eat a ton of carbs. Then pizza or burgers for lunch and pasta for dinner. Throughout the day I'll drink whole milk and eat high sodium and carb snacks. Pretty much go nuts the day before.

Then on meet day I'll have granola bars, bananas, beef jerky, and pop tarts on hand. I'll drink mostly water early in the day and save the caffeine for right before my flight does deadlift. I'll have some hydration type drinks on hand too. Nothing that's going to sit too heavy in my stomach, but still keep me energized.

Nornal before bed. Light breakfast and get the coffe in early. I assume you're on the mark with your weight class?

Thanks I was just about to ask about coffee/caffeine intake.

I'm waking up about 179-180
24hr weigh ins

Btcowboy

Reaction score
Rule 1 dont eat anything you don't normally eat.

I Just did my 1st meet in Nov here is what I did.
Watch weight twice daily the week before get an idea what you lose sleeping. Then depending on how much room you have weight wise it all depends.

I ate and drank nothing the night before or day of weigh ins. After weigh ins I realizes I had 14lbs to gain and 24hrs to do it. Ate like mad, snacks constantly, and every 2 hrs a big meal. Was tough but got through it. Weighed in day after meet and I did gain that 14lbs lol.

Basically eat carbs, lots of water and electrolytes. Day of a big carb breakfast and then I just snacked, beef jerkey, m&ms, skittles, pediallite, energy drinks.

Reaction score
I usually take two weeks off caffeine before the meet to get desensitized to it. Then slam a Red Bull before deadlift. When you have it every day you don't really feel it, but after a couple weeks off it hits hard. Sometimes meets run long and that little boost helps.

Reaction score
Yeah I have to be careful with careful with caffeine. I notice with squat and bench its easy for me to get jittery and shakey. I love the rush for deals though

snake

Veteran
Reaction score
Thanks I was just about to ask about coffee/caffeine intake.

I'm waking up about 179-180
24hr weigh ins
I was always just on the upper end of my weight class but never that close. Make the weigh-in the night before and eat normal. Don't run out to PizzaHut and eat a whole meatlovers deep dish just because you made weight; there's no trophy for making weight. lol Plus if you miss the 24 hr one, you're stuck with the day of weigh-in.

Coffee can get your guts moving in the morning so be careful. If you always have it, do it because you don't want a coffee withdraw headache.

BrotherIron

Reaction score
Are you cutting weight to make a weight class?

Personally, I liked to eat big the day before and then light the day of but then again, I don't like to have a lot in my stomach when I'm competing.

SFGiants

Elite
Reaction score
Eat some eggs and oats well before hand and then snack on crackers, peanut butter and jelly sandwiches (may just take bits, it all depends) and then after go eat a good meal.

Drink Pedialyte during also!

Snack on some jerky also!

Good luck and have fun!

Trendkill

Reaction score
Some of you may not agree with this but IMO there is no point in cutting weight unless you are attempting a world record lift or total or competing in a big money meet (which is somewhat of a joke in powerlifting, there is no money). Its just not worth all the extra stress and work to cut all that weight unless something very significant is on the line. Meets are stressful enough to begin with.

SFGiants

Elite
Reaction score
Some of you may not agree with this but IMO there is no point in cutting weight unless you are attempting a world record lift or total or competing in a big money meet (which is somewhat of a joke in powerlifting, there is no money). Its just not worth all the extra stress and work to cut all that weight unless something very significant is on the line. Meets are stressful enough to begin with.

We always taught this to new people!

Why fuck a meet up, screwing a cut up feeling weak!

New Threads