Got an updated MRI of my shoulder. I meet with my Dr to review next week. I guess there are no tears but how screwed up is my shoulder?

Reaction score
Following up from my first post here:

Posting the results here if any of the bros have experience with this. I guess I can now rule out there my rotator cuff isnt torn, but I really have no clue about the other stuff.

Thanks guys!

UPDATED MRI:

Tunnel MRI - 1.5T

Below are the findings.
FINDINGS

Outlet: There is a type 2 anterior acromion. There is mild hypertrophic changes acromioclavicular joint with subtle subchondral cystic change in the distal clavicle. There is questionable distal clavicle marrow edema. There is mild lateral acromial downsloping. There is a subtle subacromial spur.

Rotator cuff: Supraspinatus tendon is intact. Infraspinatus tendon is intact. Subscapularis tendon is intact.

Biceps: Biceps tendon is intact. No disproportionate fluid distention of biceps tendon sheath.

Glenohumeral joint: There is no focal labral detachment. No para labral cyst. Articular cartilage is intact. No significant effusion. There is capsular thickening in the axillary recess.

Bursa: No evidence of bursitis.

Other: No periarticular muscular atrophy or edema. The pectoralis muscle belly and tendon are unremarkable. No periarticular soft tissue mass or fluid collection.

IMPRESSION:
* No evidence for rotator cuff tear.

* No evidence for labral tear or para labral cyst.

* Absence of glenohumeral joint effusion with capsular thickening in the axillary recess may be associated with adhesive capsulitis in the appropriate clinical setting.

* Type II anterior acromion with mild hypertrophic changes acromioclavicular joint with subtle subchondral cystic change in the distal clavicle. There is questionable distal clavicle marrow edema. There is mild lateral acromial downsloping with subtle subacromial spur.

Send0

Taskmaster (Moderator)
Reaction score
based on this, it doesn't sound that screwed up. A type II acromion just means that yours is hooked compared to a normal acromion.. it's not uncommon and is only a problem if it's so bad that it causes impingement.

I had similar results from an MRI 2+ years ago. To make a long story short they told me it's frozen shoulder. I called bullshit and went to physical therapy to try to get something to work... it did not get better. In the end, I was forced to take some downtime due to a hernia. When I got back to lifting months later, my shoulder issue had mostly resolved itself... so I guess it really was a case of frozen shoulder for me since the only thing that fixes it is time off.

Send0

Taskmaster (Moderator)
Reaction score
your doctor will review the MRI with you, and give you a better idea of if your acromion is hooked enough to cause you issues or not.

Reaction score
based on this, it doesn't sound that screwed up. A type II acromion just means that yours is hooked compared to a normal acromion.. it's not uncommon and is only a problem if it's so bad that it causes impingement.

I had similar results from an MRI 2+ years ago. To make a long story short they told me it's frozen shoulder. I called bullshit and went to physical therapy to try to get something to work... it did not get better. In the end, I was forced to take some downtime due to a hernia. When I got back to lifting months later, my shoulder issue had mostly resolved itself... so I guess it really was a case of frozen shoulder for me since the only thing that fixes it is time off.
Thanks for your thoughts.

What's odd to me is that nothing seemed wrong with my shoulder at all, but I can clearly tie the start of my shoulder pain back to that one day in the gym. I was warming up with overheard tricep extensions and I heard a distinct pop or tear in the shoulder. Ever since that, the shoulder hasn't felt right, and led me to believe it was a rotator cuff tear due to similar symptoms.

To your point though, it looks like overall good news so will see what the Dr says.

Send0

Taskmaster (Moderator)
Reaction score
Thanks for your thoughts.

What's odd to me is that nothing seemed wrong with my shoulder at all, but I can clearly tie the start of my shoulder pain back to that one day in the gym. I was warming up with overheard tricep extensions and I heard a distinct pop or tear in the shoulder. Ever since that, the shoulder hasn't felt right, and led me to believe it was a rotator cuff tear due to similar symptoms.

To your point though, it looks like overall good news so will see what the Dr says.
if your doctor says it's frozen shoulder, then prepare to be frustrated. When you look up frozen shoulder, it reads like some bullshit diagnosis doctors use when they can't figure out what's wrong (that's how I felt at least).

It turns out the doctor was right. Unfortunately nothing will heal it but time, and sometimes that can take 2-3 years according to the literature.

Hopefully your doctor will give you a better diagnosis, and a clear plan to get you better and pain free.

snake

Veteran
Reaction score
I hate to be the wet blanket but according to my Ortho, an MRI doesn't tell the full story. Depending on where the slice is taken from, something could be missed.