Hip/lower back side pain

Reaction score
Hi, 1st year lifting here.

Mainly after deadlift the pain in my right hand side kills. Iv tried very hard to make sure form is on point after watching many tutorials.

This same pain gets me at night in bed unless I Curl into a ball.

Iv attached a photo of where the pain is. It's the back and comes and the side slightly
flat,750x,075,f-pad,750x1000,f8f8f8.u6.jpg

CJ

Mod Squad
Reaction score
Looks like the external obliques. They're for flexion/anti flexion, and rotation/anti rotation.

If you must, stop deadlifting for a bit of it hurts too much. There are specific exercises you can use to target and strengthen the obliques.

I'd start with isometric exercises, so as not to aggravate them further. Single arm farmer carries will target the anti flexion part, while paloff presses will hit the anti rotation part.

Just a guess, as I'm not a Dr or physical therapist, but both of those are solid exercises regardless.

Best of luck!!!

Reaction score
Looks like the external obliques. They're for flexion/anti flexion, and rotation/anti rotation.

If you must, stop deadlifting for a bit of it hurts too much. There are specific exercises you can use to target and strengthen the obliques.

I'd start with isometric exercises, so as not to aggravate them further. Single arm farmer carries will target the anti flexion part, while paloff presses will hit the anti rotation part.

Just a guess, as I'm not a Dr or physical therapist, but both of those are solid exercises regardless.

Best of luck!!!
If the weight is moderate the pain isn't to bad. But try and go pb and pain starts. But I guess moderate warm up weights are kind of pointless as a main exercise

CJ

Mod Squad
Reaction score
If the weight is moderate the pain isn't to bad. But try and go pb and pain starts. But I guess moderate warm up weights are kind of pointless as a main exercise
Moderate weight, higher reps are good also. If the obliques are the weak link in your chain, those will help to strengthen them also.

At the very least, you're practicing perfecting your technique, which is always a good thing.

Trendkill

👑 Benevolent Sammich King 👑
Reaction score
The circle in the picture is definitely around the external oblique but I would guess this is a quadratus lumborum strain. I always brings this up when anyone has a back issue and it's a very common muscle to strain when deadlifting. Google some stretches for this muscle and also consider duck walks. Google Donnie Thompson duck walks for those. Reverse hypers also stretch and alleviate pain in this muscle.

1642791763953.png

Trendkill

Reaction score
Also, do you have a video of your deadlift form you can post up?

Reaction score

Best of luck!!!
As well as excerises to help. Are the exercises that can replace the deadlift or some it at least. Just been and done my lower seshion as the start I couldn't lift my left to walk without a twinge in my side. After workout it eased

Trendkill

Reaction score
You need to stop all spinal loading until you get this figured out. There is no point in deadlifting if you can't walk afterwards. This is more than likely a technique issue or the result of a huge muscular imbalance or both. If you can't post up video there's not alot we can do to help correct technique. Have you been to a chiropractor or orthopedist to properly diagnose the issue?

Reaction score
You need to stop all spinal loading until you get this figured out. There is no point in deadlifting if you can't walk afterwards. This is more than likely a technique issue or the result of a huge muscular imbalance or both. If you can't post up video there's not alot we can do to help correct technique. Have you been to a chiropractor or orthopedist to properly diagnose the issue?
Currently seeing a physio therapist, she didn't seem fully convincing but told me to stretch hamstrings and quads serval times through out the day as there so tight

Trendkill

Reaction score
Currently seeing a physio therapist, she didn't seem fully convincing but told me to stretch hamstrings and quads serval times through out the day as there so tight
stretching will have some benefit but this will not solve the problem. Time to find a better therapist that is actually willing to help you resolve the issue instead of giving cookie cutter advice.

RiR0

Sage of Swole
Reaction score
I’d recommend getting a second or even third opinion if possible. Until you figure it out stop deadlifting. Remember if it’s hurts don’t do it. Have they done an mri or ct scan?

New Threads