Yoga versus Pilates for back pain

OldeBull1

Reaction score
Greetings UGB nation!
I have an opportunity to take a class of either yoga or pilates as a form of pain management,l for chronic back pain. I've done yoga before, never pilates. For a big guy, lifter, which one works best for you?
Thank you.

NbleSavage

Veteran
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
@OldeBull1 Missus Savage is a yoga instructor, and she's had back issues most of her life (has a degenerative disc disorder). Yoga has done more for her pain management than any drug she's ever been prescribed. Its also a pretty damn good workout fer bigger blokes (I train with her a couple times a week and I'm just a scone over 100 kilos). Years back when I fought Thai, our head coach brought in a yogi to work on our flexibility. Kicking the head was never easier than when I's doing yoga on the regular.

To be fair, I never done pilates so can't speak on it.

Hope ye find a training modality that helps, Mate. Back pain is a bitch.

TomJ

"Elite" 😏
Reaction score
I got a lot of wellbeing from yoga back when basically everything hurt when i was a wrestler. Its something id like to take up again when i have the time to

Test_subject

Super Duper Elite
Reaction score
I do yoga a couple times a week with the wife and it has helped my lower back tightness quite a bit. It’s great for increasing your flexibility and stabilizer strength, too.

Can’t say much about Pilates because I’ve never tried it.

Joliver

E-Fighter Extraordinaire
Reaction score
Yoga. But it's not as easy as you think. I can accidentally do pilates and not know it.

TomJ

"Elite" 😏
Reaction score
Yoga. But it's not as easy as you think. I can accidentally do pilates and not know it.
This, the studio i went to had a more athletic focus (over the typical meditation and zen stuff)
and those sessions definitely qualified as workouts. Definitely not just stretching like people think

Test_subject

Super Duper Elite
Reaction score
This, the studio i went to had a more athletic focus (over the typical meditation and zen stuff)
and those sessions definitely qualified as workouts. Definitely not just stretching like people think
Some of those poses are damn near impossible. It requires a different kind of strength than deadlifts etc.

Human_Backhoe

Photoshop Picasso
Reaction score
Did yoga once......slammed a shake before hand. The class hated me for it. Damn protein farts