Cholesterol always seems to be high in diet

Reaction score
I eat pretty clean, pretty much the same shit every day. For example today I had the following:
oats w protein powder
Rice, avocado, chicken
2x cinnamon bagel (pre-workout)
Rice, avocado, Chicken
Oikos Yogurt & banana

And even having chicken breast I still ended up at 463 cholestorol. 320 of that came from the chicken (450g total).

When I got my bloods a couple months back my LDL was high but when I calculated the ratio it was in the green by a mile, so I didn’t worry much.

So just googling about it it seems like the hard recommended limit is about 300 mg a day of it, and higher than that seems to have ties to heart issues and whatnot. Does it not matter if I have > 300 a day if my bloods come back and the ratio is fine? And how does the LDL by itself play into that? Not sure to care more for the ratio or just the LDL solo.

Don’t know much about this and most the stuff I saw online was just the fda telling me I’ll die before 30 if I eat red meat and a lot of other weird shit, thought y’all may have some insight

CJ

Mod Squad
Reaction score
I eat pretty clean, pretty much the same shit every day. For example today I had the following:
oats w protein powder
Rice, avocado, chicken
2x cinnamon bagel (pre-workout)
Rice, avocado, Chicken
Oikos Yogurt & banana

And even having chicken breast I still ended up at 463 cholestorol. 320 of that came from the chicken (450g total).

When I got my bloods a couple months back my LDL was high but when I calculated the ratio it was in the green by a mile, so I didn’t worry much.

So just googling about it it seems like the hard recommended limit is about 300 mg a day of it, and higher than that seems to have ties to heart issues and whatnot. Does it not matter if I have > 300 a day if my bloods come back and the ratio is fine? And how does the LDL by itself play into that? Not sure to care more for the ratio or just the LDL solo.

Don’t know much about this and most the stuff I saw online was just the fda telling me I’ll die before 30 if I eat red meat and a lot of other weird shit, thought y’all may have some insight

What you've been researching is outdated. In fact, the FDA guidelines now consider dietary cholesterol to not be a nutrient of concern. Also, If you don't eat enough cholesterol, your body will just produce it anyway, as it's incredibly important for cell and hormone production.

Reaction score
What you've been researching is outdated. In fact, the FDA guidelines now consider dietary cholesterol to not be a nutrient of concern. Also, If you don't eat enough cholesterol, your body will just produce it anyway, as it's incredibly important for cell and hormone production.

Wow that’s much different that the outdated stuff I was seeing, that article is really nice to see. I had completely taken shrimp out of my diet because of their cholesterol content, and had really limited my eggs. Good to see that they don’t need to be that restricted.

It seems that they’re advising to be cautious with the dietary cholesterol in the case of a high LDL, which I had at my last bloods. So I suppose until the next time I get bloods I’ll try to keep limiting it and not going too crazy. I think my adjustment of saturated fats will hopefully tip the scales in my favor in that area when I get my next bloods.

Thanks CJ, I’m saving that one to reference again for sure

CJ

Mod Squad
Reaction score
Wow that’s much different that the outdated stuff I was seeing, that article is really nice to see. I had completely taken shrimp out of my diet because of their cholesterol content, and had really limited my eggs. Good to see that they don’t need to be that restricted.

It seems that they’re advising to be cautious with the dietary cholesterol in the case of a high LDL, which I had at my last bloods. So I suppose until the next time I get bloods I’ll try to keep limiting it and not going too crazy. I think my adjustment of saturated fats will hopefully tip the scales in my favor in that area when I get my next bloods.

Thanks CJ, I’m saving that one to reference again for sure

From my understanding, quality fats help raise HDL, which assist in 'removing' bad cholesterol/LDL from the body, so olive oil, salmon, avocado, etc.. should be included in your diet.

Gadawg

The Tick
Reaction score
From my understanding, quality fats help raise HDL, which assist in 'removing' bad cholesterol/LDL from the body, so olive oil, salmon, avocado, etc.. should be included in your diet.
Thats no longer accurate either. HDL is still not well understood but best they can figure, its a marker of a healthy metabolism. It lowers quickly with high glycemic diets.

But there is no evidence that it removes anything from anywhere. There have been many prescription drugs developed that will jack your HDL sky high, but none have proven beneficial at all.

Reactions: CJ

Gadawg

The Tick
Reaction score

Attia did a good podcast on this

CJ

Mod Squad
Reaction score
Reaction score
actually here I wanted to ask you for advice as well. As I am doing a round of medical checks (just for me to know in what condition I am) and from cardiology everything went well, just my cholesterol from blood test jumped to 6.76 (thinking if you have the same measurements in the US or use other benchmarks, sorry dunno), but the ideal range is always betwen 2 to 5 mmol/l. But the worse was that nonHDL was 5.2 mmol/l, LDL 5.01 and tryacylglycerols 0.45 mmol/l - while HDL was 1.56 mmol/l

I am just asking for friendly advise - added bit cardio to my training + trying to avoid fried stuff and moved to healthier fats. Should this generally be enough or do you have any specific recommendation from your experiences?
The goal is to keep cholesterol (due to hormones), but to avoid having the unhealthy portion so high. Thx guys!

CJ

Mod Squad
Reaction score
actually here I wanted to ask you for advice as well. As I am doing a round of medical checks (just for me to know in what condition I am) and from cardiology everything went well, just my cholesterol from blood test jumped to 6.76 (thinking if you have the same measurements in the US or use other benchmarks, sorry dunno), but the ideal range is always betwen 2 to 5 mmol/l. But the worse was that nonHDL was 5.2 mmol/l, LDL 5.01 and tryacylglycerols 0.45 mmol/l - while HDL was 1.56 mmol/l

I am just asking for friendly advise - added bit cardio to my training + trying to avoid fried stuff and moved to healthier fats. Should this generally be enough or do you have any specific recommendation from your experiences?
The goal is to keep cholesterol (due to hormones), but to avoid having the unhealthy portion so high. Thx guys!

Adding cardio and eating healthier food options will never be a bad choice.

buck

Reaction score
The US government took the limitation for how much cholesterol to eat off their web site in 2015 if i remember right. As how much a person eats has little to do with what ends up in the blood as it is very hard for most to absorb it well, studies show. I see the OP says he is eating healthy, but the amount of fruit and veggies is small by my standard. last year the CDC wrote that most Americans get more nutrition from their coffee then they do elsewhere as they eat 3 servings of fruits and veggies a day which is less then 1/2 the minimum recommendation. It seems that people with what is considered high cholesterol. Live longer than those with low cholesterol. What is best or the heart may not be what is optimal for the body as a https://www.nature.com/articles/s41598-018-38461-ywhole.

Reaction score
The US government took the limitation for how much cholesterol to eat off their web site in 2015 if i remember right. As how much a person eats has little to do with what ends up in the blood as it is very hard for most to absorb it well, studies show. I see the OP says he is eating healthy, but the amount of fruit and veggies is small by my standard. last year the CDC wrote that most Americans get more nutrition from their coffee then they do elsewhere as they eat 3 servings of fruits and veggies a day which is less then 1/2 the minimum recommendation. It seems that people with what is considered high cholesterol. Live longer than those with low cholesterol. What is best or the heart may not be what is optimal for the body as a https://www.nature.com/articles/s41598-018-38461-ywhole.
I probably dont eat that many servings per month 💀

buck

Reaction score
I like my veggies. It was an acquired taste never ate them as a kid. Trained for years without eating many. Then lived with a vegetarian for 10 years and learned the benefits of them that i added to my 300-350 grams of protein a day diet. I recovered faster and grew better from all the nutrition and usually go several years at a time without a day sick. Worth it to me. Others should do what is in their comfort zone.

Reaction score
If you want to go the pharmacology route 10mgs of GW and hour of LISS fasted cardio every morning will significantly lower LDL within 30 days. Injectable SR-9009 works extremely well also, but won’t raise HDL like GW. I wouldn’t worry too much about LDL unless it’s 150+ and don’t forget cholesterol is extremely anabolic. All steroids have a cholesterol backbone, meaning every anabolic steroid is derived from cholesterol.

Yano

Flatlandah
Reaction score
As I understand it one of the reasons your cholesterol levels get wonky on a cut is your body is burning off stored fat which effects it.

Yano

Flatlandah
Reaction score
Then again for some folks , Oreo cookies work better than statins (y)

Reaction score
As I understand it one of the reasons your cholesterol levels get wonky on a cut is your body is burning off stored fat which effects it.
This is true, fat oxidation and lipid metabolism is absolutely going to bring the numbers up especially when anabolics are in play. But, cardio matters. We can clear a lot of these things out of the system with consistent cardio.

New Threads