Even Gold's Gym is going soft. Is your gym going soft, too?

Reaction score
Fitness one has really climbed up in reputation around here. It’s a new franchise. They’re small in retrospect. But they’ve got lots of classic things in their setup. They have a powerlifting room that has strong man balls and weights
they have an MMA style room with everything you could need.
and they have a cross fit room. Full of all that type of stuff.
pretty neat and they’re loose on dress code so thats a plus.

Jonjon

Reaction score
This is why I go to a gym in a cornfield across the road from the grain elevator. I’m not even close to joking it’s the most amazing thing ever..95% of my workouts are done alone ...the gym owners could care less what anyone does as long as you are doing something ridiculous that’s going to break their equipment you’re gtg. No staff and a 24 hr keycard can’t beat it.

Sounds like mine out here in the country. Often I’m alone in there and I love it. Occasionally a couple old ladies on the treadmills but they never bother.

We don’t have much equipment but it’s enough

sfw509

Reaction score
I got spoiled in my late teens/early 20's. There was a Quads Gym in the south suburbs of chicago i went to. As hard core as it got back then. Several ifbb pros, npc national competitors, and power lifters we members. I actually once lifted with Ed Coan! Im sure he dont remember, hahaha. It closed about 10 years ago. Very sad to see it go.

The last gym i was an member of went soft after they reopened from the pandemic.

Now i just tell myself that my basement is hard core. Lol

The Phoenix

Elite
Reaction score
I got spoiled in my late teens/early 20's. There was a Quads Gym in the south suburbs of chicago i went to. As hard core as it got back then. Several ifbb pros, npc national competitors, and power lifters we members. I actually once lifted with Ed Coan! Im sure he dont remember, hahaha. It closed about 10 years ago. Very sad to see it go.

The last gym i was an member of went soft after they reopened from the pandemic.

Now i just tell myself that my basement is hard core. Lol
Those were the days; but one's COVID Home/Garage gym is as hardcore as one makes it

The Phoenix

Elite
Reaction score
Fitness one has really climbed up in reputation around here. It’s a new franchise. They’re small in retrospect. But they’ve got lots of classic things in their setup. They have a powerlifting room that has strong man balls and weights
they have an MMA style room with everything you could need.
and they have a cross fit room. Full of all that type of stuff.
pretty neat and they’re loose on dress code so thats a plus.
I have never seen the testicles of a strong man but I will take your word for it. :ROFLMAO:

Trendkill

👑 Benevolent Sammich King 👑
Reaction score
I haven’t set foot in a commercial gym in 20 years and I never will again. my desire to cave someone’s head in with a 45 in those places is simply too high. I’ve been slowly building up my garage gym for the past 5 years and it’s been the best investment I’ve ever made (Buying AMD at $1.50 was a close second lol). theres chalk everywhere, my music is playing loudly an there are no phones allowed unless being used to video a lift for me or one of the high school kids. My biggest issue in the foreseeable future is needing more space but I’ll figure that out later.

supreme666leader

Reaction score
I go to golds , yea its a bit corporate but theres really no rules they dont bother you about anything, can drop shit and use chalk. Weights and dbs are rubber coated but i guess ive gotten used to it.

snake

Veteran
Reaction score
It is all about the mighty dollar. .... I hear ya, I agree, however it is a business.
It's that simple and not much has changed.

Years back I knew the local Gold's gym owner very well. The dude was not a lifter, he was a businessman. He once told me his money is not made on guys like us, it's made on the women. He even pointed out how the hard core BBing/ PLers keep those women away and that's where his money is made.

He explained how everyone puts down their $25. That the hard core guys are in the gym, banging out workouts 6-7x/wk for 2 hr. a shot. Where as the women lay down the same $25, show up 3-4x/wk for the aerobics class for 45 min and leaving. Hell the women don't even use the showers and they spend a lot more at the snackbar for drink.

It's a business!

Robdjents

Ski bum
Reaction score
How far of a walk is that from your van down by the river?
Not too far...30 mins there 27 mins back ...get my cardio in no problem...and yes I get the reference!!! Classic!!!

Reaction score
I use my basement, and over time accumulated equipment, though use a lot of dumbbells because of a right shoulder imbalance due to an operation. Cuts way down on the time and potential for excuses. Plus if I can't bear to do legs or abs and feel incomplete later, I can just zip down and do them at a suitable time without really interfering much. I don't need the socialization for motivation, and couldn't care less about anyone's opinion or approval.

Reaction score
It's that simple and not much has changed.

Years back I knew the local Gold's gym owner very well. The dude was not a lifter, he was a businessman. He once told me his money is not made on guys like us, it's made on the women. He even pointed out how the hard core BBing/ PLers keep those women away and that's where his money is made.

He explained how everyone puts down their $25. That the hard core guys are in the gym, banging out workouts 6-7x/wk for 2 hr. a shot. Where as the women lay down the same $25, show up 3-4x/wk for the aerobics class for 45 min and leaving. Hell the women don't even use the showers and they spend a lot more at the snackbar for drink.

It's a business!

Yeah, I'm sure this is the biggest factor at the end of the day. Bodybuilders are there way longer, putting a lot more wear on the equipment and the most extra money you'll get from them is maybe buying a drink from the cooler. Women seem to enjoy the bells and whistles.

One thing our franchise group is doing is creating a "studio membership" that is double the price of the regular one. This gives access to small, personalized classes in a special room that nobody else has access to. Meaning for 90 percent of the day, this huge section of the gym is closed off with nobody back there. But they're making their money because it's a big hit with the women.

Reaction score
I remember when I was out west and wanted to go to Vince's gym for the last time (went once before but live on the east coast) but I didn't know it had just closed. He'd let you do a daily, but god help you if you want to do squats or start rocking with your curls if he saw you. lol. Business had gone down, at least the way he wanted to run it.

Last edited:

PZT

Elite
Reaction score
I have been steadily trying to bring back a old school feel to the gym I have been going to for years. The last few years has noticeably been getting softer. Last Wednesday I saw a nice ray of sun shine through to young dudes that are just starting out. One was hyping the other the whole workout they had. Also, was very excited when I heard him telling his buddy after like each rep count he was like "EAT THAT!" sounded like some prison workout shit but man I was getting done my post workout shake and it wanted me to train again lol. They actual also went out of there way to introduce themselves and ask for advise. This is something that doesn't really happen anymore probably due to the internet. My generation had the early stages of Youtube but it till took advises in person from guys that had already done it.

Reaction score
I have been steadily trying to bring back a old school feel to the gym I have been going to for years. The last few years has noticeably been getting softer. Last Wednesday I saw a nice ray of sun shine through to young dudes that are just starting out. One was hyping the other the whole workout they had. Also, was very excited when I heard him telling his buddy after like each rep count he was like "EAT THAT!" sounded like some prison workout shit but man I was getting done my post workout shake and it wanted me to train again lol. They actual also went out of there way to introduce themselves and ask for advise. This is something that doesn't really happen anymore probably due to the internet. My generation had the early stages of Youtube but it till took advises in person from guys that had already done it.
Being a younger guy youtube is cool and shit but the couple days I spent here have me feeling more prepared than anything off the internet. Felt like I walked into a gym of serious bodybuilders and got real advice that is lacking in my old woman private gym. I like it though free weights non coated 24/7 access and im usually the only guy there so nobody ever pays me mind.

PZT

Elite
Reaction score
Being a younger guy youtube is cool and shit but the couple days I spent here have me feeling more prepared than anything off the internet. Felt like I walked into a gym of serious bodybuilders and got real advice that is lacking in my old woman private gym. I like it though free weights non coated 24/7 access and im usually the only guy there so nobody ever pays me mind.
gotta get that in person, face to face knowledge to bro. Makes somethings just come full circle