• Hate it!

Votes: 4 26.7%
  • Not sure/other

Votes: 1 6.7%

• Total voters

Diesel59

Elite
Reaction score
Working at Gold's Gym has taught me that fitness trends come and go. The "must have" features for gyms change over time. In the mid 2000s, "Cardio cinemas" and ladies' only areas were heavily promoted by Gold's locations opening at that time. The first location I worked at opened in 2004 and these were prominent features. Nowadays, those ideas are relics from the past.

Right now, turf is the hot ticket. The new Gold's have them, and existing locations are gutting themselves of equipment to make room for it.

Personally, I think they are only doing it because it "looks cool" and is going to attract the CrossFit/Instagram crowd. From a bodybuilding perspective, it takes away valuable space that could be put to much better use.

Diesel59

Elite
Reaction score
It adds valuable space.

Is it more valuable than a space with extra leg machines, pec dec, etc.? Because at my location, that's what was scrapped in favor of turf.

Weighted carries, push/pull/drag sled. Good surface for Plyometrics.

Great points, and I admit the sled is a nice touch.

It’s also a great space to stretch. Ever try stretching on a hard floor?

Yes, although I think that is miserable no matter where it's done.

Lots of gyms have turf. Almost standard now.

What would the CrossFit people even do on turf?

The newer Gold's have squat racks and pull up bars in the turf area. Even this location has people doing lifts on the turf.

The kettlebells are also kept in the turf area.

Reaction score
I wouldn't want to squat on turf, seems unstable...definitely could be decent for lunges, and highly valuable for sleds. Probably not worth getting if you're ditching valuable equipment for it.

bvs

Elite
Reaction score
Imo:
Weights area should be the hard rubber mats and the functional area should be high density carpet. Turf is a no for me

Yano

Flatlandah
Reaction score
The one gym we used for the meet 2 years ago was set up like that , half was a turf set up for sleds lunges drags stuff like that , all the balls n rollers were there in racks

other end was all concrete and rubber mats proper where the weights were

I spent years playing football on turf , I don't mind it I'm used to it as long as its real turf .. not that cheap indoor outdoor grass looking carpet shit like my grandmother had on her porch , that shits worthless

Yano

Flatlandah
Reaction score
One of my dreams has always been to own a gym or club type set up not a big thing like a Golds just small social lifting club , dues paid member breakfasts , like the way Louie set up Westside.

Been playing with a few designs and having a turf area just makes sense to me , if I had the extra cash to play with I would go a few lanes of track as well for sleds , drags , farmers carries.

Wouldnt get used that much but I would love to have a spot for stones as well Atlas and Dinnie carries.

Then a separate area for the monos benches platforms racks and weights.

If I went with machines like y'all use there would be what's needed but not rows of it , hack n leg press , smith machine , rev hyper and ghr tables ... maybe one of those pressing things ya put the plates on the back off and do seated bench type shit ,, no idea what those are called.

The Rage Factory(tm)

CJ

Mod Squad
Reaction score
Is it more valuable than a space with extra leg machines, pec dec, etc.? Because at my location, that's what was scrapped in favor of turf.

For revenue, yes, absolutely 100%. Like you've stated, it attracts extra clientele.

These are businesses, after all. They need to be profitable.

Gadawg

The Tick
Reaction score
My gym has a giant area of it. Its good to have a small space for sleds and shit but it’s largely wasted.

Reaction score
It’s all preference. I like turf for a lot of reasons mentioned. Mostly for weighted carries. I also stretch and foam roll.

To me the basketball court and pool area is a waste. Too few use the basketball court and the pool upkeep costs too much. Both spaces could be converted, save money, and be repurposed.

buck

Reaction score
I find businesses do what will promote sales as that is their job ultimately. Make more money for the owner/stockholder. I work out in gyms with racquet ball courts and swimming pools. Yet few actually use them. But they are a gimmick to boost profits.

Reaction score
My gym has a massive turf runway. Maybe 10’ x 100’

It looks super cool so instead of people using it for workouts like lunges or whatnot you just see a lot of the delusional fat bitches set up their tripods there and record their tiktoks. There’s a few chicks like that that just come in, go to the aesthetic turf, record a ‘set’ of a couple things with RPE -100 and leave.

Super cool looking turf though

BigChief1

Reaction score
My new gym has a large turf section. Hell u could play 7on7 on it. I like it! My old gym was all cluttered and had folks doing lunges down the small walkway.

Most people use the turf for the sled, ropes, or those different size boxes u jump on. I just stretch on it but glad it’s available!

Diesel59

Elite
Reaction score
I find businesses do what will promote sales as that is their job ultimately. Make more money for the owner/stockholder. I work out in gyms with racquet ball courts and swimming pools. Yet few actually use them. But they are a gimmick to boost profits.

I noticed that with LA Fitness when I was a member there. The racket ball actually got a lot of usage, but the pool was almost always empty.

My gym has a massive turf runway. Maybe 10’ x 100’

It looks super cool so instead of people using it for workouts like lunges or whatnot you just see a lot of the delusional fat bitches set up their tripods there and record their tiktoks. There’s a few chicks like that that just come in, go to the aesthetic turf, record a ‘set’ of a couple things with RPE -100 and leave.

Super cool looking turf though

😂😂😂

This is exactly how things are at the new Gold's. It's definitely the area that the gym thots with 30% bodyfat make a beeline for.

My new gym has a large turf section. Hell u could play 7on7 on it. I like it! My old gym was all cluttered and had folks doing lunges down the small walkway.

Most people use the turf for the sled, ropes, or those different size boxes u jump on. I just stretch on it but glad it’s available!

I appreciate this perspective. Would you say your gym has a more serious and mature clientele?

buck

Reaction score
I noticed that with LA Fitness when I was a member there. The racket ball actually got a lot of usage, but the pool was almost always empty.
I use 3 LA Fitness gyms The pools will have maybe 3 people in them at any one time at the most. They do have more during the aqua aerobics in the morning for the older crowd. But is often empty at other times.
The racket ball courts precovid during rush hour would at most be half full. And now i see them empty in the mornings and afternoons. I am usually gone by 4PM. So i can't say what goes on then. Seems it was mostly middle age and older guys using it around here. And most of them never made it back from the covid scare.
And the # of classes they have is less than half of what they had precovid. And as membership is higher them it was i don't see them hiring more staff for classes as it would just cut into their profits.

BigChief1

Reaction score
I appreciate this perspective. Would you say your gym has a more serious and mature clientele?

No! This new gym has a way younger crowd. However, It seems at least most of these younger folks hit the gym with some kind of plan and purpose. Old gym was a complete cluster Fck of circuit trainers constantly in the dam way.

I like the open space of the new gym. To be truthful I don’t get excited about a bunch of machines. I’m a keep it simple kind of guy and basic crap will take me as far as I wanna go. Plus 90% of the machines don’t have enough weight for me to use anyway. Just clutter for me. Only machines I care about is a variety of booty machines. Though I don’t use them, I have noticed gyms that have em get the better lookin honeys!

New Threads