Injury, Need advice and input.

JAXNY

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
Unfortunately for me Fellas, it appears that I've torn my upper bicep tendon. Total shocker for me.
I seen an orthopedic recently and he damn near got choked with the good arm.
I've tried to do as much research on this as I could but I'm not finding a whole lot. What I am reading is that they normally do not fix this issue if it's the upper tendon, only if you snap it at the elbow. So, sure enough this doctor told be he didn't want to fix it. Tried telling me that I really dont need it but to turn your wrist and that it's the short head bicep that you mostly rely on. NOT WHAT I WANTED TO HEAR. I haven't messed with it yet but this doctor is saying that I should still be able to do everything as normal. Bench press, shoulders, back. IDK if I'm buying it. I dont need to snap the other bicep in this arm.
In the end im sure I'll find a doctor to fix it for me but in the mean time im mot sure if I should mess with it and try to lift.
Any thoughts, knowledge or anyone that has experience on this matter I'd really appreciate your input and help. Dont know if we have any doctors on here.
I've overcome plenty of injuries in the past and I'll overcome this one, but damn I thought I was done.

Jin

Retired UG Staff
Reaction score
Ask him if he'd fix it for a pro athlete. If he would then he should fix it for you. Your commitment to excellence is no less.

If he wouldn't, then I would be more comfortable trying to work around it rather than fix it.

Sorry brother. Injuries suck. They can feel pretty devastating.

Elivo

Elite
Reaction score
Sorry to hear this man, im only around ER doctors who would just say ask an ortho, if one of our ortho docs happen to come in this weekend ill run it by them. hope it all works out bro.

JAXNY

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
No pills for me guys, I'm not getting caught up in that mess. I'll find a doctor who will fix it, it just may take some running around. But I'm also wondering if it's ok to lift like this, like this one doctor had told me.
Out of all of the people I know, no one seems to know anyone who this has happened too. So I'm not finding very much info on the matter.

JAXNY

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
Thank you, I'd really appreciate that.

PFM

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
Long time Brother Jax! Worst case scenario: you'll have a bicep that looks like a snake digesting a large rat. I like when people eww and ahh then get all grossed out. My bicep has been like this for 18+ years and its just another day in the gym.

Best case scenario you find a doctor to fix it. I suggest you work fast.

JAXNY

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
Sorry to hear this man, im only around ER doctors who would just say ask an ortho, if one of our ortho docs happen to come in this weekend ill run it by them. hope it all works out bro.

Elivo

Elite
Reaction score

Not a problem man, wish i could be more help but all of my experience is with emergency medicine and administration.

JAXNY

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
Long time Brother Jax! Worst case scenario: you'll have a bicep that looks like a snake digesting a large rat. I like when people eww and ahh then get all grossed out. My bicep has been like this for 18+ years and its just another day in the gym.

Best case scenario you find a doctor to fix it. I suggest you work fast.

Great to see you Brother. Been a while. LoL...yep, it does look like a snake ate a large rat, and everyone does go, eewww, holy shit. Wtf man.
So, PFM..are you telling me I could be ok leaving it alone if I cant get it fixed? Is there anything that you can not do or have to becarful of because of it?

PillarofBalance

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
Hey Jax.

You won't be 100% of course how could you be? But the repair of this could actually make this worse. So if you find a doc that will do the surgery make damn sure you press him on outcomes. How many times has he or she done the surgery and how did the patients fair? What are the possible complications? Just ask a lot of questions and don't assume that everything can be made whole again.

JAXNY

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
Hey Jax.

You won't be 100% of course how could you be? But the repair of this could actually make this worse. So if you find a doc that will do the surgery make damn sure you press him on outcomes. How many times has he or she done the surgery and how did the patients fair? What are the possible complications? Just ask a lot of questions and don't assume that everything can be made whole again.

Thanks PB. I did hear that there is some type of risk with nerve damage when they do repair them.

BRICKS

Veteran
Reaction score
Talk to a couple different surgeons. Also keep this in mind. Not all tears require surgery. Furthermore, it is not a forgone conclusion that you will get the result you're after from surgical repair. What did your MRI show? The national average for cost of a biceps tendon repair is around $8000.00. Surgery is how your surgeon pays for his groceries. If he tells you it doesn't require surgery there is probably a good reason. I've found in 22 years of working closely with surgeons of all specialties is that the best surgeons also recognize when you don't need or shouldn't necessarily have a surgical intervention.
Now you may have a surgeon who does not frequently operate on athletes, and his focus is returning patients to function, not to an elite level of training. If he is such a surgeon, why are you seeing him in the first place? Find a surgeon who operates on athletes and see what he has to say.

Last edited:

Oblivious

Reaction score
Unfortunately for me Fellas, it appears that I've torn my upper bicep tendon. Total shocker for me.
I seen an orthopedic recently and he damn near got choked with the good arm.
I've tried to do as much research on this as I could but I'm not finding a whole lot. What I am reading is that they normally do not fix this issue if it's the upper tendon, only if you snap it at the elbow. So, sure enough this doctor told be he didn't want to fix it. Tried telling me that I really dont need it but to turn your wrist and that it's the short head bicep that you mostly rely on. NOT WHAT I WANTED TO HEAR. I haven't messed with it yet but this doctor is saying that I should still be able to do everything as normal. Bench press, shoulders, back. IDK if I'm buying it. I dont need to snap the other bicep in this arm.
In the end im sure I'll find a doctor to fix it for me but in the mean time im mot sure if I should mess with it and try to lift.
Any thoughts, knowledge or anyone that has experience on this matter I'd really appreciate your input and help. Dont know if we have any doctors on here.
I've overcome plenty of injuries in the past and I'll overcome this one, but damn I thought I was done.
Is it partial or complete?

JAXNY

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
Is it partial or complete?

It's a complete tear. Atleast that's what they told me by looking at it. I wanted an MRI but they said no because they didn't want to fix it. I'll be getting other opinions.

Elivo

Elite
Reaction score
It's a complete tear. Atleast that's what they told me by looking at it. I wanted an MRI but they said no because they didn't want to fix it. I'll be getting other opinions.

WTF, why wouldnt they do an MRI so they knew for sure what they were dealing with?? Thats just stupid, id for sure get a second opinion on the matter, even if they didnt want to fix it, i would still think an MRI was in order, if for nothing else to make sure nothing else in there was damaged!!

BRICKS

Veteran
Reaction score
Yeah brother you so need an MRI. Not only for a diagnosis leading to surgery but to make sure that there is no rotator cuff involvement.

jennerrator

Fallen Member
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
Yeah brother you so need an MRI. Not only for a diagnosis leading to surgery but to make sure that there is no rotator cuff involvement.

Im not sure you might know this but is there really a major difference in HMO and PPO insurance as far as getting proper information and great Dr’s? I’ve had both in my life and I’ve had PPO the last 14 years and it’s been a life and mind saver..plus I assume in every state there’s both..just curious what you think about the differences in services?

JAXNY

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score

I agree Bricks. All I could get out of this doctor that I saw was an X ray. And I do have a lot of snapping and popping in the same shoulder, which I also told him and they blew it off. I was really irritated, that's why I stated that he damn near got choked. I need to go get another opinion I just hope I dont get the run around too much. I'm guessing that I only have a limited time to have this fixed before it cant ne fixed.

Last edited:

New Threads