Too much whey at once?

Reaction score
I always hear people talk about having more than 50g whey in one serving your body won't absorb it all or just piss it out or something stupid.
Any truth to this? Or can I have a meal with 90g of whey and utilize it all?

Send0

Taskmaster (Moderator)
Reaction score
Man, you love liquid diets 😂.

TLDR; it depends on slow acting vs fast acting protein. Then there are other factors such as if you are taking in fats, fiber, other carbs in your shake that can slow digestion.

In a study where they had participants use 80g of whey protein... they had multiple groups that took in different amount of the protein over a course of hours... 8x 10g servings, 4x 20g servings, and 2x 40g servings. Findings showed that muscle protein synthesis was highest in individuals who took in 4x 20g servings.

That's not to say more protein could not be used... Just that overall muscle protein synthesis for the 80g of whey was highest in individuals who limited it to 20g across 4 meals.

However as originally stated that's not the full story. Lots of factors can change this... however these other factors have not been studied to be able to quantity how much the slowed absorption rate from these other factors increase or decrease the amount of muscle protein synthesis

Send0

Taskmaster (Moderator)
Reaction score
If you really want to leverage a lot of whey/liquid protein then just take a 20-25g shake with your whole food meal. 🤷‍♂️

Reaction score
Man, you love liquid diets 😂.

TLDR; it depends on slow acting vs fast action protein. Then there are other factors such as if you are taking in fats, fiber, other carbs in your shake that can slow digestion.

In a study where they had participants use 80g of whey protein... they had multiple groups that took in different amount of the protein over a course of hours... 8x 10g servings, 4x 20g servings, and 2x 40g servings. Findings showed that muscle protein synthesis was highest in individuals who took in 4x 20g servings. That's not to say more protein could not be used... Just that overall muscle protein synthesis for the 80g of whey was highest in individuals who limited it to 20g across 4 meals.

However as originally stated that's not the full story. Lots of factors can change this... however these other factors have not been studied to be able to quantity how much the slowed absorption rate from these other factors increase or decrease the amount of muscle protein synthesis
its actually not a liquid diet 😤 I've been doing 2 cups of fruity pebbles + a premixed protein milk + a scoop of fruity pebble protein powder as a post wo meal and wanted to know if it was a waste to add another scoop (80g protein form whey in one bowl of cereal). Maybe I'd be better off doing 1 cup with 40g whey before an 1 cup with 40g whey after then if breaking it apart helps?

Send0

Taskmaster (Moderator)
Reaction score
its actually not a liquid diet 😤 I've been doing 2 cuos of fruity pebbles + a premixed protein milk + a scoop of fruity pebble protein powder as a post wo meal and wanted to know if it was a waste to add another scoop (80g protein form whey in one bowl of cereal). Maybe I'd be better off doing 1 cup with 40g whey before an 1 cup with 40g whey after then if breaking it apart helps?
And how much protein is in your premixed protein milk, and what is the source of that protein? I'd be surprised if it wasn't whey, or some other form of protein that has been processed to be small micron... in which case it will have similar issues. The only exception might be if it was something like cassein.

Long story short, it's not efficient. If you care about waste or making the most use of your protein, then take the time to learn to eat whole food.

Like I said, it's not that you can't use it... but 20-25g serving of whey in a single meal gave the most muscle protein synthesis compared to any other serving size.

If you don't care about being efficient with the protein you take in, then take in as much whey as you want. It's your choice.

Reaction score
And how much protein is in your premixed protein milk, and what is the source of that protein? I'd be surprised if it wasn't whey, or some other form of protein that has been processed to be small micron... in which case it will have similar issues. The only exception might be if it was something like cassein.

Long story short, it's not efficient. If you care about waste or making the most use of your protein, then take the time to learn to eat whole food.

Like I said, it's not that you can't use it... but 20-25g serving of whey in a single meal gave the most muscle protein synthesis compared to any other serving size.

If you don't care about being efficient with the protein you take in, then take in as much whey as you want. It's your choice.
the milk is whey based im pretty sure. I included it in the total of the 80 (30 from the milk, 25 per scoop)

Send0

Taskmaster (Moderator)
Reaction score
the milk is whey based im pretty sure. I included it in the total of the 80 (30 from the milk, 25 per scoop)
Although still not ideal (according to studies anyway), I'd say breaking it up into 40 and 40 like you suggested is a good compromise. Trying to break a protein cereal into 4x 20g servings would just be disappointing 😅

Reaction score
I'm trying to get 340g off chicken alone, just throwing the whey in for an extra boost and so I can pretend my cereals aren't a totally useless cheat meal 🤣

Reaction score
Although still not ideal (according to studies anyway), I'd say breaking it up into 40 and 40 like you suggested is a good compromise. Trying to break a protein cereal into 4x 20g servings would just be disappointing 😅
yeah, personally I'd just end up binging trying to eat that small of an amount.

Beti ona

Reaction score
If you eat once a day, you are likely to absorb all 90 grams of your whey, especially if you take it after training.

If you're eating 5 or 6 meals a day, with 30 or 40 grams in each, it's a different scenario.

The body adapts to what you give it, if you fast it will absorb more than if you are eating all day.

Reaction score
FWIW, there is a TNation article that supports the claim of ~50g/meal, but there are SO many variables that affect this from time of day, hormonal profile, bodyweight, insulin levels, how long after last workout, etc. that you may as well just do your best to get the protein in when you can.

Common sense would say that spreading the protein out throughout the day would have better overall absorption though.

P.S if you are natty, your protein synthesis rates vary throughout the day - coinciding with hormonal variations. If enhanced, you have better protein synthesis 24/7 (I also have a theory that the higher the AAS dose you are taking, the more protein you can utilize - but this is pure bro science speculation).

For WAY too much information on protein intake, read here (written by John Meadows and Bill Willis, PhD)

Send0

Taskmaster (Moderator)
Reaction score
If you eat once a day, you are likely to absorb all 90 grams of your whey, especially if you take it after training.

If you're eating 5 or 6 meals a day, with 30 or 40 grams in each, it's a different scenario.

The body adapts to what you give it, if you fast it will absorb more than if you are eating all day.
FWIW, there is a TNation article that supports the claim of ~50g/meal, but there are SO many variables that affect this from time of day, hormonal profile, bodyweight, insulin levels, how long after last workout, etc. that you may as well just do your best to get the protein in when you can.

Common sense would say that spreading the protein out throughout the day would have better overall absorption though.

P.S if you are natty, your protein synthesis rates vary throughout the day - coinciding with hormonal variations. If enhanced, you have better protein synthesis 24/7 (I also have a theory that the higher the AAS dose you are taking, the more protein you can utilize - but this is pure bro science speculation).

For WAY too much information on protein intake, read here (written by John Meadows and Bill Willis, PhD)
It's about more than just absorption. He would absorb all of it regardless if he ate 6x a day or 1x a day.

Its about how your body utilizes the protein once it's a absorbed... not the absorption itself. Absorption and utilization are not the same thing.

Taking it down to a simpler conversation, beti ona is correct in that it's better to just spread your protein out as evenly as possible throughout the day.

Reaction score

Sounds like one scoop at a time is best.

One in the morning one midday and one before you sleep. 🙂

OldeBull1

Reaction score
How do you feel after consuming 90g of whey? If you are excessively bloated and gassy, if you're having runny poop, it's pretty clear it's not digesting well. If you tolerate it and feel good, it is probably getting digested andabsorption.

I couldn't tell you about protein synthesis and ratios of amino absorbtion. Not scientific here. But trust your gut.

Reaction score
How do you feel after consuming 90g of whey? If you are excessively bloated and gassy, if you're having runny poop, it's pretty clear it's not digesting well. If you tolerate it and feel good, it is probably getting digested andabsorption.

I couldn't tell you about protein synthesis and ratios of amino absorbtion. Not scientific here. But trust your gut.
75+ irritated stomache, instant bowel movement.
45 or less, perfectly fine

Reaction score
I have 2 scoops for 50 grams whey iso with 2 servings of oatmeal mixed with half a bag of frozen blueberries and covered in honey and 2 apples ……4 times per day. Every 4 hours. Definitely absorbed

CJ

Mod Squad
Reaction score
I have 2 scoops for 50 grams whey iso with 2 servings of oatmeal mixed with half a bag of frozen blueberries and covered in honey and 2 apples ……4 times per day. Every 4 hours. Definitely absorbed

Very interesting diet. 🤔

New Threads