Too fat to start bulking at 19?

Reaction score
I’ve been lifting for 15 months, but I’ve only spent 3 months bulking, the rest either cutting or maintaining. Should I commit to a long term bulk now and accept being fat for a short while? Or would it be better to keep cutting until I’m <15% body fat. Btw I’m 19, 5’8”, and started at 198 and am currently 173ish. I loved seeing my gains during my short bulk, and sometimes feel like I have nothing to cut to. I think I'm fat, but everyone tells me I need to bulk, so I thought it would be a good idea to ask other aspiring body builders. Personally, I feel like I spent too much of my teenage years dieting, and am long due for a serious long-term bulk. I started powerlifting last week.

I appreciate all the advice I can get!!!
Screenshot 2023-07-20 at 10.19.48 PM.pngScreenshot 2023-07-20 at 10.20.18 PM.png

Test_subject

Super Duper Elite
Reaction score
How about lifting and gaining weight over a longer period of time without getting fat? 🤔💡
Exactly this.

Make sure you’re getting enough protein and lift weights consistently. You’ll naturally recomp if you eat at maintenance. Once you get to a good muscle to bodyfat ratio, bump your calories up 2-300 and do a slow, extended bulk.

transcend2007

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
Nice nudes ... guys here really appreciate that ...

As for advice if you've been lifting for 15 months and not gotten results research a better routine and track that you are progressively overloading ... meaning that are lifting heavier weights over time ... see secrets to getting big thread here ... lift heavy things .. then lift heavier things ... consistently 4 to 5 times a week for years (not weeks or months) and eat adequate protein 150+ grahms per day (every day not once in a while) ... plus track workouts to verify progression and diet to verify protein consumption ...

Stop being casual about it ... get serious now ... you can make more progress in the next 6 months than your entire previous life ...

snake

Veteran
Reaction score
Eat food lift weights…you’re young stop cutting and bulking it’s only gonna make you look like shit
How about lifting and gaining weight over a longer period of time without getting fat? 🤔💡
To add to theses 2 good comments:

If at 18 y.o. you were 198 lbs at 5'-8" you were a Fatty. Some of that is probably because you were leading the typical lifestyle that your generation does. I think your greatest achievement is not your muscle gain but your weight loss.

My suggestion for you at this point is to eat in moderation, keep track of your protein (170g min) over 4 good meals and get some light cardio in. There's no reason for someone who has been fat in recent years to Bulk.

Reaction score
Kids develop at different rates. Just because you were heavy doesn’t mean you were eating too much. There are lots of kids your age that gain weight right before a major growth spurt. Following the growth spurt they are thin. Don’t focus on the scale.

Consistent progress with the weights, along with moderate cardio will get you where you need to be. Figure out your TDEE and track what you eat each day. Don’t “cut” or “bulk” just eat 500 cals over your TDEE with the focus on getting enough protein, the correct minimal amount of fats and then filling the remainder with carbs.

Reaction score
Kids develop at different rates. Just because you were heavy doesn’t mean you were eating too much. There are lots of kids your age that gain weight right before a major growth spurt. Following the growth spurt they are thin. Don’t focus on the scale.

Consistent progress with the weights, along with moderate cardio will get you where you need to be. Figure out your TDEE and track what you eat each day. Don’t “cut” or “bulk” just eat 500 cals over your TDEE with the focus on getting enough protein, the correct minimal amount of fats and then filling the remainder with carbs.
He's 19 though. Most are not going to have another growth spurt at and after his age. Perhaps sideways, lol.
Sure, there are some that will but the majority of growth as far as height is over at this point for most.

OP I think your starting point right now is fine. You can bulk for sure and put on muscle. At your height right now though, I wouldn't want to be going too much over say 200 or 210 pounds bodyweight.

Reaction score
He's 19 though. Most are not going to have another growth spurt at and after his age. Perhaps sideways, lol.
Sure, there are some that will but the majority of growth as far as height is over at this point for most.

OP I think your starting point right now is fine. You can bulk for sure and put on muscle. At your height right now though, I wouldn't want to be going too much over say 200 or 210 pounds bodyweight.
So nobody grows any additionally after 19? Gotcha. Puberty occurs from 15-20 years old.

Reaction score
So nobody grows any additionally after 19? Gotcha. Puberty occurs from 15-20 years old.
Where do you get your info? Puberty occurs from 15 to 20? That's not right at all. Try between 9 and 14. Growth normally stops around 16 and like I stated before, most will have stopping growing taller by age 18.

I've included a link below so you can see the information.

Reaction score
Where do you get your info? Puberty occurs from 15 to 20? That's not right at all. Try between 9 and 14. Growth normally stops around 16 and like I stated before, most will have stopping growing taller by age 18.

I've included a link below so you can see the information.

How tall are you?

Reaction score
thank you guys so much for the feedback! It looks like I'll be eating at maintenance for a few weeks, and then transition to a slight caloric surplus (200ish). There aren't that many weight lifters in my friend group so I really appreciate the feedback you've given.

Reaction score
thank you guys so much for the feedback! It looks like I'll be eating at maintenance for a few weeks, and then transition to a slight caloric surplus (200ish). There aren't that many weight lifters in my friend group so I really appreciate the feedback you've given.
It's tough when your friends don't share the same passion, but when you're a beast, you'll be the one getting laid, so there's that.

transcend2007

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
You will make new friends as an adult ... if you'll be going to college it is easy to include / make gym buddies ... regardless you are responsible for your own actions as a man ... make positive choices and don't necessarily follow the crowd ... most people are sheep ... to get different results you must make better choices and take the appropriate actions ...

Send0

Taskmaster (Moderator)
Reaction score

How much of a "growth spurt" is happening at 19 that won't happen at 25? This question is rhetorical... as it should be obvious that your statement really has no relevance here

in regards to growing sideways... people get fat at any age in the exact same way... you shove too much food in your face without making use of that fuel by being active, lifting weights, or whatever it is a person does for physical activity.

No one is going to grow sideways unless they are over eating, and that happens at any age

Send0

Taskmaster (Moderator)
Reaction score
How tall are you?
Why he's 6'1", somewhere between 210-230lbs, middle aged, used to lift but life happened. He's not here for advice, or to tell us his training program, PRs in the big 3, or anything like that..

He doesn't compete or bodybuild... but has PLENTY of cycles under his belt. He's only here to contribute his wisdom to the community. Just trust him bro!

New Threads