Back to working out after illness help

Reaction score
I was doing a LP linear progression program but I have been ill for two months and I am looking to get back to training

What weights do I start with to get back on my LP what percentages

I stick with my old program or should I try new program I'm not sure

Last edited:

Diesel59

Elite
Reaction score
What kind of illness did you have? Did it cause you to lose weight?

eazy

Elite
Reaction score
I stick with my old program or should I try new program I'm not sure
what do you want to do?

If I liked my old program and was making progress before my illness, I would stick with it.

What weights do I start with to get back on my LP what percentages
don't overcomplicate this.

I'd start with a weight 20% less than where you left off. if you hit the rep range great. If weight is not heavy enough go up 5-10lbs.

JeffGoldblumLips

Reaction score
I've had a similar situation and started back using 60%-70% of the load I had last recorded as my top set. That being said I recall being surprised how easy everything moved and could have started with more weight, likely with no increased risk of injury.

Reader591

Reaction score
Just pick a fair amount lighter than you were doing. See how you recover from it. If you easily recover, up the weight and progress using whatever you chose as a starting point.

If you did 225 bench 10 reps, bring it back to say 185 for 10. If you recover just fine and didn’t have terrible DOMS, next week bring it up to 205 for example.

It’s just ball park numbers and the only way you’ll know is to get in there and do it.

It’s better to start out a bit lighter cause you can always up it next workout, or even DURING the workout if it feels super easy.

You’ll be able to progress much faster though than you were when achieving all time highs in strength.

New Threads