Can you have too much carbs with insulin?

Reaction score
Dumb question, but I’m trying to learn a bit about insulin. No plans to use it soon, just wanting to learn.

Is there such a thing as TOO many carbs after taking a dose of insulin? Or is the only issue not having enough? Would too many carbs make some stored as fat along with insulin? My understanding is for example log is used pre meal to bring BG down, so would it make sense in a pre workout sense to bring it down then intake as much carbs as you can realistically stomach pre workout alongside it?

Additionally, if anyone has any good resources to learn more please link. I listened to a couple Phil viz podcast discussing it. I just hear the complain of “insulin did nothing but make me fat” and it doesn’t make sense to me really if it’s making your BG better.

Reaction score
What do you think the benefits of artificially raising insulin levels are?

Why would one do this for the purpose of gaining muscle?

Reaction score
No, I do. I was hoping to hear your explanation of it and why you would take both exogenous insulin and eat carbohydrates at the same time.
My understanding is insulin lowers bg allowing for better nutrient uptake and better nutrient partitioning.

Hence why I was curious why not push all carbs into the window where insulin is active?

CJ

Mod Squad
Reaction score
Of course you can have too many carbs.

You don't have an unlimited ability to store them, even with the use of exogenous insulin.

And you're still bound by calories in vs calories out, you consume more energy than you can utilize, the excess will be stored as fat.

Reaction score
Of course you can have too many carbs.

You don't have an unlimited ability to store them, even with the use of exogenous insulin.

And you're still bound by calories in vs calories out, you consume more energy than you can utilize, the excess will be stored as fat.
Sorry, I realize I didn’t specify.

Of your DAILY intake. Say your macros are 600g carbs, and that is what you need to gain.

Why not put as much of those carbs as possible on the insulin window?

Reaction score
You would, more or less
Thank you,

My current diet is

M1 - 100 c

M2 - 50c

M3 (pre) - 150c

M4 (post) - 200c

M5 -50c

So it would make sense if taking log to take 25g carbs from m2 and m5 each respectively to put them into M3 with the log?

TomJ

"Elite" 😏
Reaction score
Thank you,

My current diet is

M1 - 100 c

M2 - 50c

M3 (pre) - 150c

M4 (post) - 200c

M5 -50c

So it would make sense if taking log to take 25g carbs from m2 and m5 each respectively to put them into M3 with the log?
I have no personal experience with insulin use and I only have a cursory understanding of their use methodology.
So I don't want to talk out my ass on subjects I don't have personal experience with.

BRICKS

Veteran
Reaction score
If you supplement with insulin you have to count the carbs you take with your I sulin protocol in with your daily carbs (ie subtract them). In the interest of keeping this short and simple, insulin is a storage hormone. How do you think it lowers blood glucose, eh? It's gonna facilitate the storage of glycogen in the muscles and liver and when that's full where do you think the rest of your cals are going? You can get really fat really fast supplementing with insulin. You be been warned. Guys take insulin when they're running larger doses of HGH to mitigate the insulin resistance. I've ran insulin without the HGH, not worth the hassle. Will your muscles feel and look fuller? Sure...until you look in the mirror and go oh fk, I'm getting fat fast.

You say you're trying to learn more about insulin, I'd recommend getting a hold of a physiology text and learning what it does and how it works.

Oakley6575

Reaction score
Thank you,

My current diet is

M1 - 100 c

M2 - 50c

M3 (pre) - 150c

M4 (post) - 200c

M5 -50c

I'd take those 25g from m2 and m5 and put them intra workout. You already have a good amount of carbs pre and post.

When are you taking log right now, and how much?

Oakley6575

Reaction score
Actually if it was me, I'd add an intra and move some more carbs to M5 instead having so many in M1. After your workout, your body needs nutrients.

Reaction score
I've ran insulin without the HGH, not worth the hassle. Will your muscles feel and look fuller? Sure...until you look in the mirror and go oh fk, I'm getting fat fast.

I've used insulin years ago and I wasn't using it with growth hormone. I didn't get fat. I definitely got the fuller look and my abs were pretty lean and tight. I should try and find an old photo to post. I was my biggest ever after adding insulin at 252lbs and pretty solid.

BRICKS

Veteran
Reaction score
I've used insulin years ago and I wasn't using it with growth hormone. I didn't get fat. I definitely got the fuller look and my abs were pretty lean and tight. I should try and find an old photo to post. I was my biggest ever after adding insulin at 252lbs and pretty solid.
Never said you would get fat, notice I said you can get fat. Bet you weren't eating unlimited carbs either. As the OP is asking about.

Reaction score
Never said you would get fat, notice I said you can get fat. Bet you weren't eating unlimited carbs either. As the OP is asking about.
I wasn’t talking about eating unlimited carbs, I was talking about allocating the carbs you already have to your window of when insulin is active.

Reaction score
Actually if it was me, I'd add an intra and move some more carbs to M5 instead having so many in M1. After your workout, your body needs nutrients.
Interesting, will do. I had that many carbs in m1 due to my BG naturally being high in after fasting all night but the thought of using them M5 a meal after post workout also makes sense.

BRICKS

Veteran
Reaction score
I wasn’t talking about eating unlimited carbs, I was talking about allocating the carbs you already have to your window of when insulin is active.
Yes you can have too many carbs.

New Threads