Cohiba's recover from heart failure log

DEADlifter

Elite
Reaction score
Those are good numbers, bro. The comeback is in full swing. 💪

Trendkill

👑 Benevolent Sammich King 👑
Reaction score
Lot happening here and I'm just getting caught up. Those test results from October show huge improvements. Congrats man.

Reaction score
Lot happening here and I'm just getting caught up. Those test results from October show huge improvements. Congrats man.
Thanks. I know man that is what I'm most excited about, but I actually look pretty good still.

So I went and got a massage the other day, and this chick had me totally covered in oil. I'm sitting on the table looking in this mirror next to it after the massage, and the lighting is perfect, I'm all oiled up, chest shaved, and I had the biggest moment of self adoration I've ever had. I just shook my head and said "damn you sexy motherfucker," to myself.

Reaction score
Hey buddy,
i am currently going through a similar (maybe slightly worse) situation
here is how my story began from May. This post was from end of May
----------------------------
on the 5th May during the night, ive woke up and could absolutely not breath lying down. I made sounds breathing (water in lungs) and decided i have to go to hospital. I could not even go up 5 steps of stairs then without taking a break.
in the Hospital, they first thought i have pneumonia and gave me 2 days high-dosed antibiotics. Ive told them it is my heart and i need diuretics ASAP but they did not really care. I couldnt lie down, couldnt breath and was miserable.
on Friday the 7th ive finally got an ECHO (and you cant believe how hard it was simply lying down and putting my hand behind my head, it was harder than a leg workout 2 weeks prior) and the diagnosis is following (according to my letter)
- heart insufficiency with highly restricted EF (around 16%)
- Non-Compaction Cardiomyopathy (?) --> they assume but couldnt say 100% sure
- drastic mitral insufficiency ( vena contracta 5mm) --> according to my research, this is not drastic but more like moderate but i guess they know better=
- intense pulmonary arterial hypertension (85mmHg)
some measurements: septum 12mm, LVEDD 71mm, LVESD 63mm, heart wall 14mm, Aorta 28mm, LA 54mm
some blood values at my arrival: Quick INR 1,37, D-Dimere 0,73, CRP 0,41, Troponin I 69,10pg/ml, NT-ProBNP 833, TSH 0,00, FT3 3,42 (3,4 - 6,1), FT4 10,27 (9,8-18,8)

I was sent home on tuesday 11th with a Lifevest (external defibrillator). Follow up Blood work on 26th May. Follow up ECHO on 11.06.
if no improvement --> heart catether on 14.06. If then no improvement 8 weeks later implanted defibrillator.

I really hope that this is an acute heart failure. In March I had an infection and didnt recover long enough. Maybe it is something like a myocarditis. Also, the onset of the symptoms was pretty fast (i am talking i could train on monday intensely and on tuesday evening, i was not even able to walk upstairs..)

right now:
- situation improving daily. After getting out of hospital, ive started low impact walks on the outside as long as the weather allowed me to.
Ive started with 2500 steps daily and right now, i am at between 10 and 12k daily.
- no weightlifting. I stretch a bit 1-2 times a week and use my massage gun.
- coffee is allowed, no other stimulants
- I am trying to lose a good amount of weight now. Ive went to hospital with 102kg @ 172cm and right now i am down to 96. Trying to get down to around 88 in the first step.
- Doing IF (18/6). Mainly doing 2 larger meals a day. 250g protein, 125g carbs, 40g fats. I take a maximum of 3,5g sodium daily. I know kcals are very low for my body weight but i really NEED to drop it down..
- medication:
16mg candesartan daily, should be gradually increased to 24mg
15mg torasemid (diuretic)
25mg epleronone
125µ T4/12,5µ T3
-supplement stack:
8g D-Ribose + 2g creatine + 2g Taurine x3 Daily
400mg Kaneka Ubiquinol
1300mg Curcumin bcm95
100mg pycnogenol
Black garlic, Arjuna, Bromelain, VitD3, Zinc, Magnesium, Green tea extract,...

-----

July, my Ejection Fraction went up to 24%. Right now (Measured 14.10) i am at around 31% Ejection Fraction. Next Cardiologist meeting is next week thursday.
Medication was slightly changed, candesartan removed and Entresto (special heart failure medication) added. Might also get on a SLGT2 inhibitor next week (Jardiance). Also, diuretcs sllighty increased (22,5mg torasemid)
Right now, lifting is okay but only if i properly warm up beforehand. I usually go 15min bike first and then i workout because if not, i have breathing problems (maybe due to the betablockers which make heart-rate increasement pretty hard).
Ive removed all excersises that, for me, put too much pressure on my cardiac system (deadlifts, free weight rows, squats etc.)
typical workout is something like 15-20min LISS warmup bike, 10-14 working sets (45-70mins), 5min Cooldown. Usually 3on 1 off 2on 1 off... 3-way split
if i go too high with volume or not enough rest days the periods with breathing issues are more often (see below)
additionally, i take at least 1 * 30min walk daily. most of the time i aim for 8-10000 steps a day. Off days is the walk + 40min LISS bike

every 3-4 weeks i have a period (3-4 days) of breathing issues where i cant sleep due.
heart rate is good (nights around mid 50's, daytime relaxed around 62-66), blood pressure is on the lower side (100-105 / 65-70) which is a problem because i still have to increase entresto for optimal medication plan.

i wish you good luck and much health brother, keep going strong!

flenser

Elite
Reaction score
Don't know how I missed this thread all this time, but it's the first time I saw it. It was a nice 30 minute distraction from my boring work project.

Amazing recovery. Glad everything went well without me : )

Reaction score
Just to update my log, this cold has been kicking my ass. I can't remember the last time my head produced this much mucous. I pretty much sneeze and blow my nose all day. Yesterday my chest hurt from sneezing and blowing my nose so much. Today I feel like I may be turning the corner.

Hey buddy,
on the 5th May during the night, ive woke up and could absolutely not breath lying down. I made sounds breathing (water in lungs) and decided i have to go to hospital. I could not even go up 5 steps of stairs then without taking a break.
in the Hospital, they first thought i have pneumonia and gave me 2 days high-dosed antibiotics. Ive told them it is my heart and i need diuretics ASAP but they did not really care. I couldnt lie down, couldnt breath and was miserable.
on Friday the 7th ive finally got an ECHO (and you cant believe how hard it was simply lying down and putting my hand behind my head, it was harder than a leg workout 2 weeks prior) and the diagnosis is following (according to my letter)
- drastic mitral insufficiency ( vena contracta 5mm) --> according to my research, this is not drastic but more like moderate but i guess they know better=
some measurements: septum 12mm, LVEDD 71mm, LVESD 63mm, heart wall 14mm, Aorta 28mm, LA 54mm
some blood values at my arrival: Quick INR 1,37, D-Dimere 0,73, CRP 0,41, Troponin I 69,10pg/ml, NT-ProBNP 833, TSH 0,00, FT3 3,42 (3,4 - 6,1), FT4 10,27 (9,8-18,8)

I was sent home on tuesday 11th with a Lifevest (external defibrillator). Follow up Blood work on 26th May. Follow up ECHO on 11.06.
if no improvement --> heart catether on 14.06. If then no improvement 8 weeks later implanted defibrillator.

I really hope that this is an acute heart failure. In March I had an infection and didnt recover long enough. Maybe it is something like a myocarditis. Also, the onset of the symptoms was pretty fast (i am talking i could train on monday intensely and on tuesday evening, i was not even able to walk upstairs..)

right now:
- situation improving daily. After getting out of hospital, ive started low impact walks on the outside as long as the weather allowed me to.
Ive started with 2500 steps daily and right now, i am at between 10 and 12k daily.
- I am trying to lose a good amount of weight now. Ive went to hospital with 102kg @ 172cm and right now i am down to 96. Trying to get down to around 88 in the first step.
- Doing IF (18/6). Mainly doing 2 larger meals a day. 250g protein, 125g carbs, 40g fats. I take a maximum of 3,5g sodium daily. I know kcals are very low for my body weight but i really NEED to drop it down..
- medication:
25mg epleronone
125µ T4/12,5µ T3
-supplement stack:
400mg Kaneka Ubiquinol
1300mg Curcumin bcm95
100mg pycnogenol

-----

July, my Ejection Fraction went up to 24%. Right now (Measured 14.10) i am at around 31% Ejection Fraction. Next Cardiologist meeting is next week thursday.
Medication was slightly changed, candesartan removed and Entresto (special heart failure medication) added. Might also get on a SLGT2 inhibitor next week (Jardiance). Also, diuretcs sllighty increased (22,5mg torasemid)
Right now, lifting is okay but only if i properly warm up beforehand. I usually go 15min bike first and then i workout because if not, i have breathing problems (maybe due to the betablockers which make heart-rate increasement pretty hard).
Ive removed all excersises that, for me, put too much pressure on my cardiac system (deadlifts, free weight rows, squats etc.)
typical workout is something like 15-20min LISS warmup bike, 10-14 working sets (45-70mins), 5min Cooldown. Usually 3on 1 off 2on 1 off... 3-way split
if i go too high with volume or not enough rest days the periods with breathing issues are more often (see below)
additionally, i take at least 1 * 30min walk daily. most of the time i aim for 8-10000 steps a day. Off days is the walk + 40min LISS bike

every 3-4 weeks i have a period (3-4 days) of breathing issues where i cant sleep due.
heart rate is good (nights around mid 50's, daytime relaxed around 62-66), blood pressure is on the lower side (100-105 / 65-70) which is a problem because i still have to increase entresto for optimal medication plan.

Man, thanks for sharing your experience. I wish you the best of luck in your recovery. I am on some similar meds and supplements right now and have been feeling much better up until I got this cold recently.

I had an arythmia which was a big part of what caused my problems. I also had an ablation done recently to get that fixed. It will be a little while before I know if that was successful or not.

Overall though I have seen good improvement in my heart numbers over the past 6 months. I'm really hoping to be "out of the woods" with this after 1st quarter next year.

I'm just doing what the docs say and keeping my hormone levels in check. So far, so good. It has been frustrating, but not insurmountable.

Capthowdy

Reaction score
Bro how did this happen to you ? I didn’t see that in the thread any where so sorry if you mentioned it already . I’m glad to see your recovering btw .

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reaction score
Bro how did this happen to you ? I didn’t see that in the thread any where so sorry if you mentioned it already . I’m glad to see your recovering btw .

The root of the problem was that I had an arythmia I wasn't really aware of (a-flutter and a-fib), but also was abusing some AAS (test, mast, deca, dbol not in crazy dosages but my blood pressure was high from it) and over the counter stimulants (caffiene, sudafed, and preworkouts, some with dmaa). It all kind of coalesced into something that put me into heart failure. And I didn't catch on until it was pretty bad.

And it's ok I don't mind repeating it in hopes that it might help someone else avoid the issue down the road.

Reaction score
Just to update my log, this cold has been kicking my ass. I can't remember the last time my head produced this much mucous. I pretty much sneeze and blow my nose all day. Yesterday my chest hurt from sneezing and blowing my nose so much. Today I feel like I may be turning the corner.

Man, thanks for sharing your experience. I wish you the best of luck in your recovery. I am on some similar meds and supplements right now and have been feeling much better up until I got this cold recently.

I had an arythmia which was a big part of what caused my problems. I also had an ablation done recently to get that fixed. It will be a little while before I know if that was successful or not.

Overall though I have seen good improvement in my heart numbers over the past 6 months. I'm really hoping to be "out of the woods" with this after 1st quarter next year.

I'm just doing what the docs say and keeping my hormone levels in check. So far, so good. It has been frustrating, but not insurmountable.
thanks man, same to you :)
Yeah i also made improvements but i know it takes a long long time to really get back to "normality".
For me, sleeping is the main issue. (and climbing too many stairs xD)
i wll have a sleep study done in december and i hope it provide some insight and i get something to fix the issues.
Right now i am taking too many sleep pills that also mess with my breathing. It sucks, either i only get 2 hours of sleep or i take pills and have low oxygen :|
about your cold:
be very concious that you do not do anything strenous right now. This would overexert your heart by big time. For us, colds or illnesses are much much worse than for the normal guys. When you are sick, the body struggles to fight. For our weak bodies he already has issues fighting the virus, doing anything strenous on top of it is absolutely bad.
but, from reading your posts, i am sure you are aware and you keep an eye on it :)
good luck! I will definitely update from time to time and follow your log

Capthowdy

Reaction score
The root of the problem was that I had an arythmia I wasn't really aware of (a-flutter and a-fib), but also was abusing some AAS (test, mast, deca, dbol not in crazy dosages but my blood pressure was high from it) and over the counter stimulants (caffiene, sudafed, and preworkouts, some with dmaa). It all kind of coalesced into something that put me into heart failure. And I didn't catch on until it was pretty bad.

And it's ok I don't mind repeating it in hopes that it might help someone else avoid the issue down the road.

Thanks for sharing the experience. Hopefully you make a full recovery !

Reaction score
Today I finally felt good enough to lift again after the cold. I'm freaked out though because I weighed myself this morning and I was 194. I guess I went about a week and a half without lifting or weighing myself, I can't believe I dropped down that far. I had been around 198-200. Oh well, what can I do but just keep trying to get back in the game?

I did this at home. Still kinda short of breath and my db's only go up to 52.5 lbs.

17 decline situps
db bench press 52.5's x 12, 12, 12, 12
db fly 25's x 12, 14, 15
db skullcrushers 25's x 15, 15, 15
db overhead tricep ext 45 x 15, 15, 12
alt db curls 35's x 12, 12, 12
concentration curls 30's x 12, 12, 12

Reaction score
20 decline situps
db shrugs 75's x 12, 12, 12
HS shoulder press 140 x 12, 12, 10
db side lateral raises 25's x 12, 12, 12
reverse cable crossovers 12.5 x 15, 15, 15
cable external rotations 12.5 x 12, 12, 1220 decline situps
cable external rotations 12.5 x 12, 12, 12

I'm still really weak from this cold, had to make myself go today. Not fun but glad I went.

Methyl mike

Accelerati Incredibilus
Reaction score
Hey buddy,

right now:
- medication:
25mg epleronone
125µ T4/12,5µ T3
-supplement stack:
400mg Kaneka Ubiquinol
1300mg Curcumin bcm95
100mg pycnogenol

-----

Nice to see you @Manu1234

Looks like you are struggling I wish you the best. Things will get better.

Methyl mike

Accelerati Incredibilus
Reaction score
20 decline situps
cable external rotations 12.5 x 12, 12, 1220 decline situps
cable external rotations 12.5 x 12, 12, 12

I'm still really weak from this cold, had to make myself go today. Not fun but glad I went.
The days we feel like going the least are always the most productive.

Those numbers (from this last workout )somewhat shocked me, I never would guess you were having health issues seeing numbers like those. Inspiring!

Reaction score
The days we feel like going the least are always the most productive.

Those numbers (from this last workout )somewhat shocked me, I never would guess you were having health issues seeing numbers like those. Inspiring!
Just realized some stuff got double-pasted in that post, but thanks. I feel really weak. That helps inspire me.

New Threads