Distal Biceps Tendon Tear

Bullseye Forever

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
Not to bad no real pain on bicep, just real tight. Now the shoulder still in pain

Mine is still sore when I stretch it alot my rotator cuff was torn all the way before he done surgery,was a mess and my bicep tendon was torn and looked like a bird nest in the picks so mine was a pretty rough surgery

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Beserker

Viking King
Reaction score
Really glad I found this. I completely ruptured mine on 12/3. Had surgery on 12/13. Tomorrow will be two weeks post-op. I feel really good. Had minimal pain post-op, and have no pain now. I got my splint off and sutures out on 12/22. He put me in a hinge brace and locked it at 90 degrees. He said that he keeps everyone at 90 for 4 weeks. From what I’m reading, it seems like a lot of rehab protocols (and other people’s experiences) allow for starting to work on range of motion between 2-4 weeks post op. Given how good my arm feels, that seems reasonable. I’m starting to realize that my surgeon is really conservative, and told me at my first post-op (after I told him what my deadlift goal in 6 months was) that he doesn’t really know much about weightlifting. He said most of these injuries don’t actually come from weightlifting. Regardless, I want to be ambitious, but not stupid. Unfortunately, I’m not getting much guidance from surgeon. I was hoping someone else who’s been through this can give their thoughts.

90 degree lock for 4 weeks? Yikes. Did you get an Endo Button? Every Ortho seems to have different protocols. I ended up taking advice from my PT and Ortho, but managed my own rehab.

I followed their ROM exercises and ditched the brace after week 3… which they tested me and started me at a 40 degree brace. By week 4 I had full recovery as far as ROM. I basically did my own thing, if it hurt, I backed off. My PT and Ortho didn’t like it, but I felt like I knew my body well enough to do this. They begrudgingly high fived me literally on week 4. I cut their 16 week standard recovery to 4…

Tendons take a long time to fully heal so I didn’t push meaningful weight until early December. I’m curling 40s again, goal is 75’s by July.

Reaction score
90 degree lock for 4 weeks? Yikes. Did you get an Endo Button? Every Ortho seems to have different protocols. I ended up taking advice from my PT and Ortho, but managed my own rehab.

I followed their ROM exercises and ditched the brace after week 3… which they tested me and started me at a 40 degree brace. By week 4 I had full recovery as far as ROM. I basically did my own thing, if it hurt, I backed off. My PT and Ortho didn’t like it, but I felt like I knew my body well enough to do this. They begrudgingly high fived me literally on week 4. I cut their 16 week standard recovery to 4…

Tendons take a long time to fully heal so I didn’t push meaningful weight until early December. I’m curling 40s again, goal is 75’s by July.
I had a suture anchor repair. You’re right though, it seems like there is no consensus on how to fix it, how to handle the post op rehab, etc. Kind of annoying. My arm feels great. No pain at all. I’m about 3.5 weeks post op. I actually adjusted the brace so that it’s not locked, and moving between 70 degrees and full flexion. No pain or swelling with it. I’ve tested my passive range of motion and am able to get to 30 degrees before I feel any sort of tightness, no pain just slight tightness. I’m scheduled to for my next post op eval in 5 days, at which time he is going to fully unlock the brace and allow me to start working on full range of motion. I scheduled my first PT appointment that same day. Mostly just doing PT to have someone throttle me back if I’m pushing too fast (which I know I would probably do).
It’s helpful to hear someone else’s experience to know he’s being as conservative as it sounds like to me. Knowing that, I’m gonna keep listening to my body and push it within reason.

Beserker

Viking King
Reaction score
Your type of repair is similar but I believe the endobutton is stronger and more suited for earlier ROM… that might be why the conservative approach your Ortho is taking. Whatever you do, don’t tear those sutures. Best of luck on the recovery!

Reaction score
Your type of repair is similar but I believe the endobutton is stronger and more suited for earlier ROM… that might be why the conservative approach your Ortho is taking. Whatever you do, don’t tear those sutures. Best of luck on the recovery!
Did you notice a pinching or pressure type feeling in the back of your elbow (the olecranon) once you started to straighten it? I don’t really feel much tension or pulling at the bicep, but I notice this pinching feeling in the back of the elbow. I’m wondering if it’s due to elbow joint effusion, but I have no idea. It’s really hard to find many people with this injury, or places with much information about the recovery process and what to expect.

The Phoenix

Elite
Reaction score
I am getting the left elbow, forearm and bicep strain I typically get if I strain it too much. Previous week’s train (week of NYE), trainer had me train back and biceps were really sore and then I did arms the next day and noticed it sore. Last week, on Thursday, I felt it more strained along with shoulder rotator cuff soreness so yesterday’s rest really helped. Gonna let it rest by not doing arms this week. We’ll see if it subsides and goes away.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

New Threads