MRI Left Shoulder

buck

Reaction score
Originally with my first shoulder problem felt like my arm was going to go out the back of my shoulder when benching, was doing 4+ plates then and was down to less then 1 when i had the surgery. My shoulder had been separated and dislocated in the past so i knew there was damage. But the first ortho said i just had a muscle imbalance as i was to strong and nothing could be torn with that strength. But things kept going down hill till they finally tore away which is what the second ortho figured out in 2 minutes of manipulating my shoulder. The first surgeon dealt with normal people which is my fault for choosing him. The second dealt with athletes, which is where i learned my lesson. Had a fair amount of pain depending on what i was doing. Just rolling over while sleeping would wake me up and i would have to hold my arm to move.

With my second shoulder my GP said i had frozen shoulder which i ruled out and went to the the Seahawks chiro/therapist for treatment and he manipulated my shoulder for about 1 minute and said my labrum was torn. and that is what the MRI then showed which just got worse till i had it replaced. Again someone that deals with athletes was the way to go.

I have a couple discs in my neck that are gone but that happens to al lot of people in our society as they get worn out looking down at phones and improper posture. which cause me pain but i deal with it. I had a couple car wrecks in my teens and 20's one that we rolled at over 100mph so my neck had been beat up as well as the spine. And squatting 5-6 plates or pulling 5-6-7 plates regularly for decades didn't probably help any. My first MRI for my spine 10 years ago showed spondylolisthesis from 2 collapsed discs a few bulged and some herniated ones. Stenosis where the spine had slid forward over half the diameter of the vertebrae, arthritis tendonitis narrowing of the canals in the spine causing the nerves to be impinged etc. So that has been some fun times in my life. Along with 3 years ago after sitting at a stop light at the end of a highway after mountain climbing where the driver behind me didn't see the red light and hit my at 60+mph which shook the back up again. MRI showed ever disc that was imaged is bulged and half are hennaed. Had a couple minor surgeries from that the found wouldn't heal. Different Dr 2 years later and she finds that there was some packing material and foam left in the would during one of the previous surgeries which led to another one 3 months ago. Just another case of pick the right Dr. as 1/2 of all Dr.'s graduated at the bottom half of their class.

I have had the same test done as you so i can understand where you are coming form. Been dealing with this sort of crap for over 40 years.

Has you neck been MRI'd?

Sounds like you may need a laminectomy to give the nerves more room. Had that done the same time they did my fusion and put some metal rods in to pull my spine back into position.

Last edited:

almostgone

Elite
Reaction score
Originally with my first shoulder problem felt like my arm was going to go out the back of my shoulder when benching, was doing 4+ plates then and was down to less then 1 when i had the surgery. My shoulder had been separated and dislocated in the past so i knew there was damage. But the first ortho said i just had a muscle imbalance as i was to strong and nothing could be torn with that strength. But things kept going down hill till they finally tore away which is what the second ortho figured out in 2 minutes of manipulating my shoulder. The first surgeon dealt with normal people which is my fault for choosing him. The second dealt with athletes, which is where i learned my lesson. Had a fair amount of pain depending on what i was doing. Just rolling over while sleeping would wake me up and i would have to hold my arm to move.

With my second shoulder my GP said i had frozen shoulder which i ruled out and went to the the Seahawks chiro/therapist for treatment and he manipulated my shoulder for about 1 minute and said my labrum was torn. and that is what the MRI then showed which just got worse till i had it replaced. Again someone that deals with athletes was the way to go.

I have a couple discs in my neck that are gone but that happens to al lot of people in our society as they get worn out looking down at phones and improper posture. which cause me pain but i deal with it. I had a couple car wrecks in my teens and 20's one that we rolled at over 100mph so my neck had been beat up as well as the spine. And squatting 5-6 plates or pulling 5-6-7 plates regularly for decades didn't probably help any. My first MRI for my spine 10 years ago showed spondylolisthesis from 2 collapsed discs a few bulged and some herniated ones. Stenosis where the spine had slid forward over half the diameter of the vertebrae, arthritis tendonitis narrowing of the canals in the spine causing the nerves to be impinged etc. So that has been some fun times in my life. Along with 3 years ago after sitting at a stop light at the end of a highway after mountain climbing where the driver behind me didn't see the red light and hit my at 60+mph which shook the back up again. MRI showed ever disc that was imaged is bulged and half are hennaed. Had a couple minor surgeries from that the found wouldn't heal. Different Dr 2 years later and she finds that there was some packing material and foam left in the would during one of the previous surgeries which led to another one 3 months ago. Just another case of pick the right Dr. as 1/2 of all Dr.'s graduated at the bottom half of their class.

I have had the same test done as you so i can understand where you are coming form. Been dealing with this sort of crap for over 40 years.

Sounds like you may need a laminectomy to give the nerves more room. Had that done the same time they did my fusion and put some metal rods in to pull my spine back into position.

Sounds like we've had a good bit of the same cervical issues and surgeries. I knew I was f*cked up to a good extent, but when he said don't even think about getting on your tractor to do any work. It kind of settled in then that the walls were on the verge of tumbling down. Then when my arm quit working, I figured ok... I'm having a stroke. 🤔
I honestly think my neck may be most stable part of my body right now. After the laminectomies, forminotomies, facetectomies, rods, cross-links, and pedicle screws, it holds up well.

buck

Reaction score
Sounds like we've had a good bit of the same cervical issues and surgeries. I knew I was f*cked up to a good extent, but when he said don't even think about getting on your tractor to do any work. It kind of settled in then that the walls were on the verge of tumbling down. Then when my arm quit working, I figured ok... I'm having a stroke. 🤔
I honestly think my neck may be most stable part of my body right now. After the laminectomies, forminotomies, facetectomies, rods, cross-links, and pedicle screws, it holds up well.
As a paraplegic friend of mine tells me, "you have to be strong to grow old"

almostgone

Elite
Reaction score
As a paraplegic friend of mine tells me, "you have to be strong to grow old"
Sounds like a wise friend.

You were talking about neck posture and how much it can contribute to dysfunction.
I was skimming an article discussing that recently. I don't know how valid the author's data was, but they speculated that since the "digital revolution" , "tech neck" is responsible for 30-40% of people with neck disorders that use digital devices frequently.

buck

Reaction score
Sounds like a wise friend.

You were talking about neck posture and how much it can contribute to dysfunction.
I was skimming an article discussing that recently. I don't know how valid the author's data was, but they speculated that since the "digital revolution" , "tech neck" is responsible for 30-40% of people with neck disorders that use digital devices frequently.
I can believe it and think it will be a big issue in years to come. Slouching in a chair causes the spine to flex in the wrong direction and leads to back pain. When i see people that have their phone in their lap and are looking at it i assume they will be having issues in the future. They are bending the neck extremely and in the opposite direction it is really designed to be. Th natural arc that people are supposed to have tends to go away according to a chiropractor that i spoke with 10 years ago. And people end up having a straight neck.

almostgone

Elite
Reaction score
I can believe it and think it will be a big issue in years to come. Slouching in a chair causes the spine to flex in the wrong direction and leads to back pain. When i see people that have their phone in their lap and are looking at it i assume they will be having issues in the future. They are bending the neck extremely and in the opposite direction it is really designed to be. Th natural arc that people are supposed to have tends to go away according to a chiropractor that i spoke with 10 years ago. And people end up having a straight neck.

Another group that I know is starting showing issues of the loss of cervical lordosis is guys that spent much time with headgear, NODs, comms, etc. on.
We all know how the neck can tolerate some weight, but the need to be constantly looking down or unbalanced weight on the neck isn't the ideal situation at all.

Anyway, cool talking with you , man. Back when I first had this develop and had the shitty Ortho, I was pretty much scouting the Internet to find information from others with the same problem.

Most people would say it just a pinched nerve, it will pass in a few weeks. Ummm....no, lol. Then when I got the good neuro and he showed me how compressed the spinal cord was and what it was doing to the nerves, it all clicked .

New Threads